Upgrade Macbook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danbrco, Jun 21, 2015.

1. danbrco macrumors newbie

Hello,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section!

I've currently got a late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM. Just started playing Football Manager 2015 on it and although it's fine, it could be better! Obviously these aren't meant for gaming but there must be a way to improve performance.

What can I actually upgrade on this machine to speed it up? SSD? pretty sure I can't upgrade the RAM but there must be something I can do to it?

Thanks

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

You could upgrade the SSD but the only way to do that is find one from another rMBP as it's proprietary. The RAM can't be upgraded at all because it's soldered onto the motherboard.

3. danbrco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! would an SSD upgrade benefit the performance of a game? the overall speed is fine. I'm a graphic designer so have Adobe CC always open and that's fine.

Do you know where the best place to pick up an SSD for it? (UK)

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

You'd get more storage space but that's it. I'm assuming your model has integrated graphics? If so, that's really your main issue, not the RAM or SSD.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. You'd get more storage, that's it.

Gaming relies on CPU and GPU, but mostly GPU. You cannot upgrade either of those in just about 99.99% of laptops that have been built in the last 10-15 years or so.

The late 2013 (and younger) retina MBPs use a proprietary PCIe connector for their SSD, the only way to upgrade is to find one on eBay that's been pulled from another machine. You can't buy one new. RAM has been soldered (thus non-upgradable) since the very first retina MBP in 2012.

Regardless, unless you're sorely running out of space, or are actually running out of RAM when you play (which I strongly doubt is the case), more RAM would give you exactly zero benefits.