Upgrade MacBook Pro to SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sparticu$, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Sparticu$ macrumors member

Does anyone have any idea how complicated it would be to upgrade a 13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012 to an SSD? I have replaced a battery in my old 2010 MacBook Pro so i'm not clueless, but Im not a geek either. Some advice would be much appreciated. ;)

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    it's a pretty easy switch. i put an SSD in my 2012 15"MBP ( and a data doubler too) and i'm certainly no tech wizard.

watch the OWC install vids...they're a huge help.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

If you can replace the battery you can replace the SSD, I'd say the SSD is even easier.

There's a million videos showing how to do it on youtube as well.

I've done it, it took 5 minutes, super simple.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The OWC video will show you that its very easy to replace. I'd not get too worked up and getting an SSD will definitely speed things up. For more information you can always visit the ifixit website and look for a guide for your computer. There's detailed instructions

5. paul-n macrumors regular

You just need Torx screw driver, thats all.
    You can clone your OS with SuperDuper to SSD and then swap the drives.
    The 5 minutes are maybe too optimistic, but it took me 15 minutes to replace the HDD with the Samsung 840 Pro.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I want to do the same thing on my Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro, I know installing an SSD is easy but I'm not completely sure how to copy all the data from the current HD to the SSD.

8. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

To migrate everything to an ssd from a mechanical drive, you could create a time machine backup on an external drive, install the ssd, boot from the time machine drive, and restore to the ssd.

9. dunkuk macrumors newbie

dunkuk

I did it not long ago. Cant remember exactly what I did but I ended up with a USB flash drive with a downloaded fresh copy of the OS on it which I then used to install the OS on the SSD. Worked very well. That was on a new computer though so I didnt have any files to keep. I also used an older OS so had to download the one I wanted.

10. Hawaiian Starman macrumors member

In addition to swapping the original HD with a SSD, i also removed the DVD writer/reader in my 15" 2012 MBP and installed a 1TB SSD in its place. Pretty easy swap by following OWC's instructional video.