Upgrade MacBook to MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dem Shrimp, Aug 25, 2010.

  1. Dem Shrimp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Brighton, United Kingdom
    #1
    Hey,

    Basically I'm deciding whether or not to upgrade my current MB to an MBP.

    My MacBook is the late 2009 Unibody 13", 2.26 GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HD, GeForce 9400M, etc.

    I'm looking at upgrading to the MPB, either;

    - 13" 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram, 250GB for £999.

    - 13" 2.66 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB for £1249.

    Or, although a bit out of my price range, the;

    - 15" 2.4GHz i5, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB for £1499.

    Bare in mind, I can get student discount, (around 15%), also I can get an iPod Touch for like £30 and sell it on for around £80, and also sell my old MacBook for at least £600/£700

    Any advice?
     
  2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #2
    ...yeah, instead of going thru all that hassle just install 4Gb of RAM into your current machine and save up for when your laptop isn't almost identical to the one's your thinking of "upgrading" to...
     
  3. Dem Shrimp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Brighton, United Kingdom
    #3
    hmm, this is true. Although isn't the Pro a generally better piece of kit all round? not only in terms of looks but performance too?
     
  4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

    wywern209

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    do you rly want to know?
    #4
    no, the 13" pros is identical in performance to your machine save for the GFX which is significantly better. The only decent jump in power you would see is from upgrading to a 15" MBP. At this point, i would suggest saving more and in a few months, get a macbook pro with the updated sandybridge* macbook pro.

    *sandy bridge is the code name for a new set of processors coming from intel which are faster than the current core i5/i7 series processors and a heck of a lot faster than the C2d in the macbook 13". It is expected to come out at the end of this year w/ products coming out early 2011.
     
  5. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Location:
    Coachella, CA
    #5
    I agree with waiting. You will get an SD slot with a pro. I don't believe your model has a firewire port either but I think it is quite a hassle. Save up for the next rendition of a greater size.
     

Share This Page