Upgrade MacOS on 2012 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CyHawk60, Jan 31, 2018.

1. CyHawk60, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018

CyHawk60 macrumors member

Hello -

I have a 2012 MBP running ElCapitan. I have upgraded it with 16gb ram and a 256gb SSD. Are there any drawbacks to updating to HighSierra? ElCapitan has been running really well. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

3. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

With an SSD and 16GB of memory you will be golden. I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade.

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502a

prisstratton

Working really well on my 2011 MBP - see my sig. No problems since jumping on with public beta 6 right through to release.

5. CyHawk60 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! My first MacBook. I was worried upgrading might slow it down.

6. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

If you had a spinning drive or 4GB of memory I would be more cautious, but with and SSD and 16GB that thing will run High Sierra great.

7. CyHawk60 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

8. CyHawk60 thread starter macrumors member

So I finally decided to upgrade to Sierra tonight. A little back story. I purchased this MBP used from a local high school. I'm running into issues where some of the apps had been installed with the schools account and I haven't been able to update them. So far, I've been able to delete and reinstall them. Is this going to cause any future headaches? Would it be easier in the long run to format the drive and do a fresh install of the OS?

Thanks for your input!

9. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Fresh install is recommended if you got the machine from somewhere else.

Either Sierra or High Sierra, although it would help to know what software and what versions of that software you are running. Sierra is a little more friendly to old versions of software than High Sierra.

10. CyHawk60 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. The computer was running ElCapitan. So far I've deleted pages, keynote and numbers. They reinstalled fine.

11. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

If that's all you're running, then High Sierra is fine. If you were running say an older version of MS Office or Photoshop, I might recommend Sierra.

I mention these cuz if you're going to do a clean install, you may as well upgrade the OS as well.

12. CyHawk60 thread starter macrumors member

I upgraded to Sierra, I'm going to hold off on High Sierra for a bit.

Thanks for the help!