Upgrade MBP (8GB, SSD) or go iMac 27" i7 ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macfr3d, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Macfr3d macrumors newbie

Hi,

I code alot on a 2.26Ghz 13" MBP (4gb ram, 7200rpm disk) w/ 1920x1200 pixel external monitor and often get frustrated at the slomo that kicks in when I run out of memory or cpu load goes ballistic because i have too many vm's running and files open while i zap through my virtual desktops (in search of that one window from earlier) like it's the wheel of fortune.

Soo, which would be the better option to get a more responsive system? Do I need an ssd + more ram, or a faster cpu (more cores) alltogether? The toy .. err machine will be used for work most of the time (80%) rest for surfing and some photostuff. Options:

1. upgrade to 8GB of mem and/or buy an ultra fast X-25M SSD 160GB (i dont use bootcamp)
    2. buy a new shiny 27" iMac base model (with i7) at 5x the cost and stick in another 8GB of mem (=12gb total)?

I dont see myself getting an imac with ssd because I have to draw the $$$ line somewhere.

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try the RAM upgrade first, it looks like you do a lot multitasking and VMs eat a lot RAM.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The SSD will make a big increase in speed. I'd stick an OWC SSD in there in addition to increasing the RAM.

4. Macfr3d thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies, ... damn I wish you talked me into an i7 ;)

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No one is stopping you from getting the iMac. ;) Although money-wise, it is wiser to see if the upgrades will satiate your needs first.

6. Macfr3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the question really is which of the two options would give me the most responsive system for my usage profile. 8gb ram + ssd on c2d @ 2.2Ghz or 12gb ram + without ssd on quadcore i7 @ 2.9ghz.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you run several VMs and run out of memory, then a new iMac with some extra RAM give the far best performance!
    The core i7 also have hyperthreading and VT-x/VT-d, which increases speed on virtual environments.

8. Macfr3d thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok! one more question: does the HT come to live automagicaly or do I need an application to supports it? for example when I run paralles desktop I can assign the number of cores a vm is allowed to use . say if I set it to two, does this mean that I assiged two real or virtual cores ... or does the OS select this automticaly depending on cpu usage or sth?

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The Mac with the SSD will probably feel a lot more responsive. Applications will launch nearly instantly and the startup time will halve. Sure the processor is overall slower, but the disk related activities will even it out. A SSD will make a huge difference.