Upgrade MBP early 2008 or buy a new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snowcake, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Snowcake macrumors regular

Hello,

I am thinking to upgrade my Macbook pro Early 2008, But i heard that there are some problems with the 8600GT GPU. I am out of warranty but will apple repair it if something goes wrong? I read somewhere that apple will repair this even if it is out of warranty.

So, the question is: Will apple repair the GPU for free if something happen with it after 2 a 3 years of purchase?

2. nateo200, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Buy a new one with the upcoming refresh and just wait it out. Your not going to get anything drastically different. Of course if you went with something i5 or i7 in it it would be worth it.

3. Snowcake thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if i upgrade to 4GB and a ssd or faster HD i'm sure that is much faster.
    The only thing holding my back is the 8600GT debacle. So i really want to know how apple handle 8600GT defects. :apple:

4. nateo200, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I ment with the refresh coming soon with the sandy whatever everyone is blabbing about. I don't see why you would want a more similar than different laptop.

5. Snowcake thread starter macrumors regular

I dont need that much, and i am not rich. :(
    But if you want pay my a new one... :D

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Haha if I had that money I would be buying a 256SSD and more RAM :D :D:apple:

7. Snowcake thread starter macrumors regular

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Symptoms
    In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

8. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you've got a failed 8600GT.

9. svenn macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat with my early 08 since I want to upgrade it, but I just learned about all the issues this has. I guess I've been lucky as I have had no problems.

How does Apple repair this? Do they have a different gpu to put in?

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

no The replace the board and put in another 8600 that is doomed to fail.

11. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Yup, I've had this done twice in the same MBP. I'm on the third motherboard and so far it's worked ok for about a year or so. I'll be refreshing this 2007 MBP once the new ones are announced *holds breath, turns blue......*