Upgrade MBP HDD and RAM..?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kamera RAWr, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Well, as the title suggests, I'm considering upgrading my MacBook Pro hard drive and memory. First off, any recommendations on HDD brands? As far as the hard drive I'm debating between a 320GB 7200rpm and 500GB 5400rpm drive. Just curious, coming from a 160GB 5400rpm drive, I'm wondering if I'd notice a big jump in performance to the 7200? Biggest files I work with are maybe around 15-20MB on average... RAW picture files.

As far as memory is concerned... which is recommended? It appears Apple notoriously overcharges for the memory from them. I have 2GB and planning to upgrade to 4GB. Should it be fairly easy to do myself?

Sorry for all the naive questions. I appreciate any helpful comments or advice :)

2. Deepsiix macrumors newbie

Seagate seems to have the lowest failure rate and I have always had good luck using a seagate. I didnt notice any substantial difference between a 7200rpm and a 5400rpm drive, so it all depends on how much space you want. As for ram, just ordered some laptop memory from newegg or ncix, its pretty cheap online.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yup, I have a desktop segate HD that I've formatted thousands of times and abuse daily and its still alive and kicking. WD seems to be really popular for laptop hds. my WD scorpio has be good to me thus far.

4. Kamera RAWr thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Well, the only manufacturers I see for 500GB laptop HDDs are Hitatchi and Samsung. Any feelings on them?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Only the Samsung 500 gb fits in the 15" MBP and 13" MB. I just ordered one a couple of minutes ago for the sale price of $120 from NewEgg. Better buy today if you want one.

6. HI-madhatter macrumors newbie

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Forgot about the WD new drive. That's a 9.5mm drive, right?

8. Kamera RAWr thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I've neglected to mention perhaps that mine is a 17" MBP.. :eek:

9. ceehjayem macrumors regular

I just purchased the Samsung one off of newegg as well. Can't wait to get it!

10. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I am waiting for a 500GB at 7,200 - In the meantime the 320GB 5400 will have to do

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Same here. I hear from a friend who works at Seagate in MN, that we will soon be seeing a 500gb 7200RPM option from them. He says that it will be the correct size to fit in the new MBP.

Hopefully the model he had access to will see production!

Can't wait!

[​IMG]

12. Kamera RAWr thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

13. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Anybody know the best site to buy the Samsung 500 GB drive with an enclosure? OWC and newegg have some good deals with the full kits but I don't want to pay international shipping and maybe have issues with customs.