Upgrade MBP HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theros, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Theros macrumors newbie

Im considering to use an SSD in my MBP, but i dont know if it would be a good upgrade.

I found an Samsung SSD of 120GB with TRIM support, which costs 3900 pesos with shipping here in Mexico (325 dollars), i will do the upgrade because i want my system to survive at least 1-2 years fast until university (i will move to study in Europe in summer for the last year of high school), i was considering the MBP 2011, but i only use Office, iMovie, Videos, Music, Starcraft 2/WoW, typical teenager with msn, facebook, etc.. but the amount of money for it (here they cost more, i would need to sell mine plus a difference of 600 dollars) i found a bit difficult, also my system has warranty until 31 December 2011, so you know is a bit new to want another after 2 months.

Does upgrading to an SSD i will found a really notorious upgrade? (i want more speed) How much will affect battery? Any problems will cause if i dont have TRIM?

If someone has an 2010 model please comment your experiences, sorry for the questions but the money for the SSD is a part from my savings for Summer and i want to use them well ><

Thanks

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Upgrading to an SSD is a significantly noticeable upgrade. Your machine will be lightning fast when it comes to booting up, running programs and managing the OS.

As for TRIM support, only the newest 2011 MacBook Pros support TRIM in SSDs. Other MBPs with SSDs, like the one I own, will have to wait for 10.7 Lion in order to get TRIM support.

Also, while the new machines are BLAZING fast, I don't see a need for you to upgrade. I do video myself and while the upgrade was tempting due to decreased render and transcoding times, I can wait until next year when Apple is rumored to unveil the new design of the MacBook Pro. Also, while the LightPeak port on the newest MBPs is super cool, it's useless right now since there are no devices being sold that support the technology. The first third-party devices (which in all likelihood will be RAID configurations rather than monitors) probably won't be available until the later half of 2011.