Upgrade MBP or buy used MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Abfarris, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Abfarris macrumors member

So I recently had some issues with my baseline model mid2010 Macbook Pro and am faced with needing to upgrade most of the components and battery within the MBP.

Now I'm considering switching to a used MacBook Air. I have seen some on ebay that look like they would be in my price range. I have a lot of big expenses coming up soon so I can't really justify purchasing a brand new MBA...but for a few $100 more would I be better to get a used 2013/2014 MBA or switch out the parts in my mid2010 MBP?

I've been keeping an eye on ebay. Does anyone have any suggestions of other places to look for people selling used MBAs? I've considered the refurb route but so far ebay still seems to be my better bet.

Lastly,
    if there is a new 12" MBA released around Oct with retina. Has anyone seen if that causes an influx of the product on sites such as ebay and if they usually sell for less than they would be selling for now?

Thanks!

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Also check your local Craigslist. There are some good deals to be had if you are careful and time it right. Ebay is a more trusted source with Paypal protection against fraudulent sellers. If the 12 inch retina releases, chances are you will see quite a few 11 and 13 inch MBA's on Ebay and such. Hard to say how much they will go for.

The current 2013 and 2014 MBA's are tried and true. They are great machines with great battery life and performance is top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to grab one now if you can afford it.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Check out Bestbuy for 2014 MBAs. The baseline models are currently selling for 800$ with the education discount. You can just use a code online for that. You can also sometimes apply a mover's discount for another 10% off. It will be hard to find a used one for 800$. You can find a used 2010 MBA for about 500$, but if you can afford a new one, I would highly recommend getting one now.

This October, the MBA will drop somewhat in price, but not by very much. Used computers are already trying to be sold above the new market value. Nobody can predict the future price of the MBA, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Get a new one if you can. Get a used one if you cannot, but really see if you can stretch to get a new one.

Matt

4. Abfarris thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both.

Seems that for both of you upgrading the 2010 MBP was the least attractive option.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I upgraded from a 2010 15" i5 MBP to a 13" 2013 MBA. Even after upgrading the MBP with a new battery (after 4 years that Apple actually paid for as it started to bulge long before the cycle count was anywhere near where it should've been although this took some serious negotiation with AppleCare because the Apple Store wanted to charge me), new SSD and upgraded memory, the 2013 MBA (i7, 8GB, 512) with it's PCIe SSD just blew it away in virtually every aspect of performance, not to mention it's lack of weight and super-thin form factor. I gave the MBP to my daughter and never looked back. I'm a dedicated MBA user now and I'll upgrade when a rMBA is perfected. :cool:

6. snazzychap macrumors newbie

I'm debating selling my mid-2010 Macbook Pro on ebay and then getting the MacBook Air. I can get the college discount so it would end up being about $800 (13 inch). I've seen some mid-2010 Macbook Pro's on ebay go for anywhere from $500-600. Do you think it's worth the upgrade right now or should I wait and see if theres the new macbook air and then try and sell my macbook pro? I figure that right now is when I can get the most for my current laptop. Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Two things:
    1. The longer you wait, the less you'll get for your 2010 MBP on the resale market if that is important in your purchase decision concerning the new MBA

2. I think you can get the student discount anytime, but right now with Apple's back to school promotion, don't they give you an added gift card of some kind?
    (You may be choosing to purchase from Best Buy whom from what I read has a better cash discount in lieu of the Apple Gift Card promotion, but I am not sure about that.).

Anyway, what ever you choose, you'll LOVE the new MBA! :)

8. snazzychap macrumors newbie

My friend has an Air and he loves it. My only hesitation is deciding if I should just stick with my current laptop or get the 13 inch Air 128 GB for $800, or even just wait and see how the prices are next year on the Air, but then of course the resale value of my Macbook Pro won't be as much...have you had any issues with the power of the MacBook air? A retina display for me isn't a huge deal, because I prefer battery life over the retina display.

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If retina isn't a big deal then you should definitely go ahead and sell your pro and get a 2014 Air. The current Air is a great machine that is rock solid and more than powerful enough for most anything you can throw at it.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

No problems whatsoever with processing power in my 2013 MBA. It is simply the best built. fastest, lightest laptop I've ever owned and I've owned literally dozens of Apple laptops (and some Windows based PC laptops as well).

11. snazzychap macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. My hold-up was deciding if it was worth it to get rid of my current Mid-2010 MacBook Pro for the 2014 Air and I think that I'm going to sell my laptop to get the Air. How much of an improvement do you think it will be? Obviously the MacBook Pro lineup is more powerful but how much of a difference do you think it will be having the 2014 Air compared to my older MacBook Pro? I'm planning on getting the 13 inch 128 Gb Hard Drive. Thanks again

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Between the lack of weight and super-thin form factor, the lightening fast PCIe SSD, the USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports along with 802.11ac wifi, it will be quite a difference from your older, heavier slower MBP.

13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

This....

It will be a night and day difference...