Upgrade MBP2.2 hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starney, Feb 9, 2009.

1. starney macrumors member

After 1.5 years with my lovely Maccy (MBP2.2GHZ), I finally decide to upgrade the original 120GB HD to West Digital 320GB (WD3200BEVT). My questions are three. First, Any extra care of upgrading, I've read some posts step-by-step upgrade HD already so just some personal advice if you been (esp MBP2.2) upgraded before. Second, most of the posts suggests, in order to upgrade I need to prepare Torx Screwdriver (T-6), but which kind of screwdriver it is require to open the case. Third, any good for this 250GB one or is there any other choice?

Million thanks

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I have the same machine you do, and have been giving some serious thought to upgrading the HD also.. would much prefer at least 320gb. I've considered maybe giving it a try myself, but decided I'd just get the HD at a good Fry's sale (Seagate or WD) and pay $40 to have an authorized Apple repair shop do the swap out. This way I get to keep my Applecare valid... But, I'd be really interested in what you find out, and if you do this yourself it would be informative to see how it all goes for you.

3. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

I just added a scorpio black WD 7200 HD to my macbook pro 2.2. I used the ifixt guide and noticed only a couple of problems. There is a screw under the front of the track pad that they don't mention, and you need a torx for the hard drive screws they mention at the very end.

The Scorpio black -- cool name, works great -- very quiet and seems a little faster than stock.

If I could have got someone to do the change out for $40, I would have -- lots of screws and floppy sheet metal feel when you are getting the top off.

4. gpeden macrumors regular

Hi there,

I installed a 500G WD "blue" into my 2.2 MBP last night and I didn't find any extra screws to remove, beyond what my copy of the iFixit guide showed. What I did to keep track of all the screws was line up 2 to 4 screws from each operation on top of the case and then pick them all up with a piece of tape and then "paste" them onto a sheet of paper and then label with the appropriate description, i.e. "port side". I have "spudgers" than came with a tool set purchased from OWC, but when it came to lifting the ribbon cable off the top of the HD, I had to shave the end of a popsicle stick to a shallow taper, which worked well for working it loose.

The only problem that I have is that I originally set the formatting for my Bootcamp partition to FAT32 instead of NTFS, which I've now discovered does not work with the programs normally used for cloning the PC partition. So now I am re-installing it all from scratch - later:)

All that room! :)

Cheers!

glen

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    this is exactly what I want to do. I have a 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro which I purchased back in Fall 2007 Refurbished. The 120gb HD has been annoying me for sometime now.

I have a WD3200BEVT too which is from the WD3200XMS-00 external hard drive I purchased back in March, 2008 from Best Buy for $135. The mini-usb port thing died on this and since it was out of warranty (And I wanted to get my info out), I opened the enclosure took out the hard drive and used a USB-to-SATA thing to get everything out.

Since I got a new, better WD portable external hard drive w/ Firewire 800 (WD5000MT-00) I'd rather put WD3200BEVT into my MacBook Pro

Can anyone link this iFixit tutorial?

can anyone tell me where to buy the tools I need? (just Torx Screwdriver (T-6)?

And lastly, what steps do I do to prepare the hard drive for being swapped? I will be using disk utility to copy over anything before powering off my laptop for the swap?

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Here is the guide. All you need to do the installation is a Torx T6 and a #00 phillips. Make sure you use the right size screwdrivers or else you might strip some screws.

To prep the HD, put your WD drive into the enclosure. Make sure the WD drive is formatted to HFS+ with GUID partitioning. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer your entire hard drive to the new WD drive. Once CCC is done, install the new drive using the guide.

That's all there is to it.

Make sure you verify/repair disk permissions after the installation.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's an easy upgrade so don't worry about it. Just remember to slide in your OS X DVD after you reassembled the unit. Boot the machine holding down your option key and choose Disk Utility to format.

8. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

MBP2,2 Added the 320Gb (Model WDC WD3200BEKT-00F3T0) 6 months ago using the iFixit guide and had two problems - one was that the cable/ribbon that connects the keyboard/power button to the motherboard was coming off sometime after I pressed the top down and second was that the lid won't shut or open easily after re-assembly.

Due to the first problem the machine refused to power on - I was very worried for a moment but then since I had done everything right I almost had an intuition that the pesky ribbon was the problem. Second was bit tricky - had to align the top and bottom very carefully and then not tighten all screws at once so I could finalize the alignment later.

Since then it is running fine - quite a bit faster than the 120Gb stock drive.

9. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this.

I only have to do this if I want a full copy right? I think I'd rahter just go with a fresh install and just putting my files back on.

Thanks for this heads up.

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

I asked my wife to pick these up for me yesterday so that I can finally put in a 320gb WD32000BEVT into my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro. But she grabbed Kronus Precision Slotted Screwdriver Set 3.5mm, 3.0mm, 2.4mm, 2.0mm, 1.6mm, and 1.4mm. Can I make do with these? I should probably go and get the torx. Any store suggestions?

can you (or anyone else) elaborate on these errors and any other potential ones. I'm scared I could encounter the same thing or something else.

11. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Damn, I tried to be a hero and upgrade the hard drive in my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro w/out T6 Torx Screwdriver. I got through the first one when I needed it (just used the philips), but now on stuck last step. I'm going to go and see if I can find one in a store. I'm a little worried now about the tape. If I leave it exposed for so long, I'm guessing it will lose its stickiness. Should I replace it?

12. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

The foil that's on my WD3200BEVT (because it was from a portable external hard drive)

The WD3200BEVT I'm going to be putting into my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook pro is from an external drive so it has some foil on it and some rubber square things. anything special in removing these before I put the HD in my hard drive? Or should it not be a big deal. Pictures attached

Attached Files:

13. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Remove the foils and everything extraneous and put the bare drive back in - there should be no issues.

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. I got my Torx T6 screwdriver (was hell to find - went to Lowe's and Home Depot and finally went to sears who had it).

Once I (hopefully) put everything back together again, I was thinking I should run diagnostic stuff and make sure everything's ok either before I a) put the OS back on or B) start putting my data back on. Thoughts? I have applecare, but don't know if I have any diagnostic software. I think when I bought the applecare for my 15" 2.16ghz MacBook Pro (my comp before I bought this - then handed off to wife) in Spring 2008, I may have gotten some software. I can use that? Do I do before or after OS X Leopard installation

15. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

See if the Leopard DVD boots and recognizes the drive - if it does then complete the install and check the SMART status in System Profiler. I don't think more diagnostics are necessary - but since this is a previously used drive it would not hurt to use the AppleCare provided TechTools Deluxe for testing the drive after you complete the OS install - it can be downloaded at this link for free after you verify your AppleCare registered Serial # of the Mac.

16. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the fast response. The computer is booting fine and I think everything's good. I got scared when it wouldn't let me install Mac OS X Tiger (my Leopard is a drop-in DVD so first I have to install this and then install Leopard). Then I went to options for the partition and saw it had master boot record selected and I changed it to GUID Partition Table and then I was able to install. I will follow the system profiler advice you gave me and will check out the techtools also. Thank you.

17. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

You should have told this before :) - The drop-in DVD sneakily allows to install on a clean drive - you just have to go to the restore from time machine backup - go as far as it allows and then return to find the continue button enabled. Any way - keep that in your notes for next time!

18. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

oh man! That could have saved some time.

ah well, I at least had a chance to pick and choose the applications I wanted to install from the original system restore Discs (left off all print drivers, language translations, kept imovie, iphoto, front row, and photo booth). If I had done the Leopard install first, then I would have to manually pull out the apps I need - but if I remember correctly, I had a hard time just picking and choosing and had to install everything. Does that sound right? Or did I miss a step the last time I did this.

I just hope that installing all of this first, and then installing Leopard via the CPU Drop-in DVD won't waste any hard drive memory in the upgrade.

19. Derick01 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Upgrading hard drive is a basic piece of PC service work, it's easy enough to do, but it's sufficiently non-obvious - and the down side of maybe trashing a pair of hard drives and all of your no doubt un-backed-up data is frightening enough - that lots of people don't want to try it.

Hard drives normally come pre-set to Master. Other devices are usually Slaves by default. These days, though, pretty much any IDE device will work as Master with pretty much any other device as Slave. As a general rule of thumb, you should make the fastest device the Master, on the assumption that it'll have the better controller.

20. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

So on June 20th I completed the Hard drive swap in my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook pro and it was working fine until July 6th when it just kept chiming and wouldn't start up. Since I have Applecare on this (it's almost 2 years old), I called and had them send a box. It was stuck in the pending part phase so I called and found out on Tuesday (July 14th) that it was a logic board issue. They finally received the part that day and sent out the laptop for me yesterday - I received it today.

I'm wondering if I bothered anything during the hard drive install. They repaired some other things too because I complained about the backlight - it kept dimming high and low - but that had been going on for a while. For that, the keyboard and the top case were replaced. The Enclosure - Defective Latch/Hinges was replaced/fixed. I'm wondering if that was something from the install.

The annoying thing is that my hard drive is wiped clean which isn't a terribly big deal because as I was putting stuff back on after the hard drive swap, I wasn't deleting it off my external - but I was moving it to the trash can so I Will have to go through each file of my external hard drive's trash can individually.

It seems the latest Leopard OS was installed on my comp but it looks like it was installed with a full iLife '08 and I'm not sure what else. As a result, on my 320gb HD (I know I automatically lose some HD space w/ the conversion or whatever) I'm at 276.3gb remaining so I'm just going to wipe clean and reinstall the Leopard OS. I want to put iLife '09 on here anyways (drop in disc given w/ my 3-month old MacBook Air purchase for my wife).

And on a final note, I appreciate Applecare replacing the old Power adapter I threw in there because it was really dirty from our house fire back in October (it still worked fine). They swapped it out for a new/refurbished one.

21. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Need to put WD3200BEVT 320gb hard drive back in MacBook Pro

I documented my steps in this thread for replacing my 2.2ghz MacBook Pro (MacBookPro3,1 Intel Core 2 Duo)'s original 120gb hard drive with a WD3200BEVT 320gb hard drive. Unfortunately my MBP went through some massive reconstructive surgery at Applecare (the final repair sheet can be seen here: http://twitpic.com/lcju3) and in the process, they took out my 320gb drive and put a 150gb drive in. I Think I read something about it not mounting but I don't remember any problems when I sent the hard drive in. While I do appreciate the bigger-than-the-original-drive, I want my 320gb back in there (they sent it back in its own static holder)). I'll test the drive tomorrow with my (I believe) BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter to make sure the drive works ok. If it does, I should be good to go back in there and replace the drive right?

I think I'll have to buy my Torx t6 again as well as a small precision screwdriver quit. Any other supplies I would need? Last time, I remember wishing I had some yellow tape (The color of the tape that's used inside my laptop) to put things back together properly. Where can I Get that? I had one issue with tape not sticking anymore last time so something was going to be left possibly unsecure

22. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^^
    I connected my BYTECC BT-300 directly to the WD3200BEVT through the SATA Drive port and then connected to my macbook pro., I can hear the hard drive making noise, but Nothing has come up on the screen, and when I go into Disk Utility, I don't see my hard drive.

I would like to have more space in my comp so I was just thinking of buying another exact same hard drive. But wanted to make sure the one I have is truly dead.