Upgrade mid-2012 rMBP Logic Board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VacTacks11, Apr 23, 2015.

1. VacTacks11 macrumors member

Hi all,

Starting to find that my mid-2012 rMBP is getting a bit long in the tooth.

If it were possible to find a 2013 or even 2014 15" rMBP logic board, would I be able to replace my current logic board with it?

I upgraded the WiFi on it last year, and that helped, but the 8 GB RAM and slower(ish) processor is starting to show their age.

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your processor is barely slower than the current machines. What makes you think it is inadequate?

It's not very likely that you can upgrade the internals without issue. I wouldn't waste my time trying to get this to work.

3. VacTacks11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I should have focused on the GPU over the CPU. The newer GPUs (Intel and nVidia) are newer, with more RAM, and are faster. I would argue this would be the primary reason I would want to upgrade.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I think you'd save time and a headache or two if you just sold off your computer and bought a new/used one of a newer vintage.

With the cost of a logicboard(I believe a new one retails at over $900, don't quote me on that), you'd probably come out ahead monetarily that way. Add to the fact that it probably won't fit anyway.