Upgrade my 1,1, how..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wildmac, Feb 20, 2014.

1. wildmac macrumors 65816

So, I have a nMP on order, but I still have a 1,1 that I'll likely use someplace in the house, probably hooked up to the TV.

There are a ton of threads here with various bits and details of info, so I'm looking for the best info on how to update this system on the cheap, to get it running at least 10.8.5, and possibly 10.9.x

Also, I'm wondering about bluetooth, as my wife wants a system that she can use to surf some anime websites on the TV, so it would be best if they keyboard and mouse could be worked from the couch.

2. 0x2102 macrumors member

Hi,

get a SSD Drive 128GB or 256GB and a USB stick and follow this guide:

http://oemden.com/?page_id=585

You will need your nMP to create the bootable USB stick and the "Mavericks Installer.app" downloaded from the AppStore under "Applications"

Worked really well on my cMP 1,1 - running 10.9.1 right now.

3. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah SSD, little more RAM, new video card maybe what u have in it now?

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

The Mac Pro does not make a good HTPC. It's loud and power hungry. Both are the opposite of what you want. You'd be better off selling it and using the money towards a base mini.

5. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

I second that, a Mac Mini would be a good HTPC over a Mac Pro, less enegery and better operation at the end of the day plus small and looks better.