Upgrade my 3Gs to iOS4 now, or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ok3wire, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ok3wire macrumors member

I've been viewing the recent threads here and in the troubleshooting forum and I'm wondering if you would recommend that I go ahead and upgrade my 32gb 3Gs to iOS4, or if it might be wise to wait a month or so until Apple has had a chance to address some of the issues that appear to have arisen.

I realize going to the troubleshooting forum can give one a bit of a skewed perspective when trying to judge the overall success of a new software upgrade (perhaps a bit like going to your local emergency room and then wondering why everyone in your town is sick :) ), but I'm having a hard time assessing whether the problems being encountered are fairly routine, or if this upgrade is actually buggier than usual for an iPhone software update. My phone is something of a mission critical piece of gear in running my business and I'd hate to be without for any appreciable period of time.

My phone, which has never been hacked in any way, syncs up to iTunes on a G5 PPC running OS10.5.8 and I've never had any connection issues previously. So, whaddya think? Should I go for it, or would it better to wait a bit?

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Wait!

I have a 3GS and I waited 2 days to upgrade to 4.0. HUGE mistake. As we speak my phone is resetting every 3 or 4 minutes. It has been like this for a day. I have done every trick I can think of to fix it, and for some reason I can't downgrade.

I have an appointment today at 4:20. I don't want 4.0 on the replacement they will give me.

3. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Just wait for 4.0.1 or whatever the newest upgrade will be. It won't make a noticeable difference in your life if you have 4.0 vs 3.1.x, you still have an iPhone 3GS after all that does a heck of a lot of cool things ;)

4. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I'm a 3Gs owner and upgraded right away. Overall, I've been very happy with the upgrade - I like the new features and the phone seems a little quicker. One problem - the bluetooth audio connection is degraded when I pair with my car. I haven't done any trouble shooting yet and I'm hoping I can resolve this but as of now its a problem.

5. canderton macrumors member

I've been running 4.0 on my 32GB for 2 days now and so far it has been flawless. I will say that the phone doesn't feel quite as "snappy" as it did on iOS3 but it's certainly nothing major and it's worth the tradeoff for all the new features. So I say go ahead and upgrade.

6. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

I've noticed the same issue. My phone will ring briefly before the car bluetooh takes over the call. Not a huge issue, but it was seamless before.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've been running iOS4 for a week with no troubles at all. Started with the GM build, switched to the official build on Tuesday. Good idea when upgrading to do a full recovery-mode upgrade, that way you're starting from the bottom up.

I'd suggest checking to see if your favorite apps have been upgraded. If they have, then consider making the move. If they haven't, then maybe wait another week or two. Up to you. While some folks certainly are having problems, it seems the vast majority are not.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Upgraded 3GS to iOS 4 even though got iPhone 4 yesterday. Loved it, works fine and sped up my phone a bit! Anyway, it was all good :)

9. ok3wire thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all for the input.

I think I may let discretion be the better part of valor and hold off for a month or so. Bluetooth integration with the car system is pretty important here in California for anyone who doesn't like to pay for traffic tickets. :)

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I'd get it...it has sped up my 3GS significantly....

11. amini1 macrumors newbie

I would hold off. On 2 3GS phones I've had major reception issues since the upgrade. Supposedly the way iOS4 selects mobile towers is different from before...and not in a good way.

12. AnotherLabRat macrumors newbie

I'd say wait. If you use bluetooth for audio then you risk it not working with iOS4. There seem to be some issues with ip4's not pairing and iOS4 not pairing or having degraded signals.

Also, not all apps support multitasking, so there's not incentive there if apps you use aren't yet upgraded to support it.

These are only the problems I've noticed so far...so I'm sure there are more.

13. furby3 macrumors member

Wait!!!

Wait! I tied to upgrade to IOS4 and it's been a nightmare. The upgrade failed and now I can't reset my phone back to the factory settings. iTunes does not recognize it and it can't be activated. I've spent an entire day at the AT&T store and on the phone with Apple and AT&T tech support. No one can fix it; they are sending me a new one--but it will take 2 weeks because of a shortage of 3GS phones. Two weeks without a phone! :mad:

14. HairyOne25 macrumors newbie

Bluetooth problem

Since I've upgraded my 3G iPhone to iOS4, I can't pair it with my car's Bluetooth anymore.

Phone: iPhone 3g
    Bluetooth: Genuine Volvo Bluetooth Kit
    Pre iOS4: pairing easy, no problem
    Post iOS4: could make calls on Volvo Bluetooth, but incoming calls were not broadcast over the sound system
    Tried: I removed iPhone from the pairing and tried to pair again ... NO GO!

Can somebody tell me what I've done wrong? Or is it iOS4 that is the problem? From what I see in forums here and at Apple, it seems to be the fault of iOS4, but is a solution forthcoming from Apple? What do we do in the meantime