Upgrade my Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Groundhog66, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Groundhog66 macrumors member

Groundhog66

Hello all!

I have an older Airport Extreme, it's probably from about 8 years ago or so. Question is, am I missing something by not upgrading to a newer model? I looked at the Airport Utility, and it shows that it's a version 7.6.4, does that help to determine how out of date I am?

Do I need an Extreme, or would an Express serve my purposes? I guess I'm unsure, of the actual difference between them.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would go for the Extreme so you can get wireless AC, Gigabit Ethernet, Time Machine support, and three LAN ports.

3. Groundhog66 thread starter macrumors member

Groundhog66

Will the new model, be an upgrade from the older model I have currently?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Most likely it will be quite a bit faster even for wireless N clients and allows you full speeds for wireless AC clients. What model number is your Extreme?

5. Groundhog66 thread starter macrumors member

Groundhog66

Not sure, just know it's an Extreme from about 8 years ago.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You could tell either by looking on the bottom or in AirPort Utility. Either way, the new Extreme is a strong improvement over past models.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Altemose wrote above:
    [[ You could tell either by looking on the bottom or in AirPort Utility. ]]

Just wondering --

Where in the Airport Utility does one go to determine the version of the Airport Extreme?

Mine reports "Base Station XXXxxx" with three numbers and three letters, but, how is this interpreted to ascertain the year of manufacture or product revision?

There is also a version number "7.6.4" -- but again, doesn't provide real information insofar as year or revision goes.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In AirPort Utility on iOS you can view it in the pop up menu. In AirPort Utility 5 it is found by selecting a base station on the left pane and looking at which generation follows the model. I am not on a Mac right now, so I can't tell you how on AirPort Utility 6.x on OS X.