Upgrade my macbook pro (late 2008)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ali5289, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ali5289 macrumors newbie

Should I upgrade my macbook pro? I have had it for four years, but have been waiting for the new refresh. I'm definitely not going to buy the new retina macbook, but was thinking of upgrading to a new regular macbook pro with high res screen. Any advice?
    Thanks.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

here's the one reason I haven't (2007).

They are still hot as hell.

3. pHeNom macrumors regular

if you have $ to spare then why not.

4. css136 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. I have a 2008 model and I was waiting for the update, but I'm not too impressed. The Retina is rough around the edges. I think it will eventually become a great computer, but right now they are just starting out. I think Apple has a more long-term vision as far as specs go. They realize it's not a full solution for most people, which is why they're still selling the old MBPs and not replacing the whole lineup.

I like a lot of things about the new model, so I plan to wait for the next spec bump. However, if the Retina doesn't catch your eye, I'd go with the normal MBP. It's a good design and it's built to last. Right now your 2008 probably performs fine, so it really depends on how long you want to wait. Either way, I think you'll be happy

5. ali5289 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya i agree. after much debate back and forth, i have decided to wait for the next round of refresh. I want to wait until the macbook retina gets a lil cheaper with a lil bit more ssd. no need to get a new macbook with the same weight and great (but not awesome) specs when my late 2008 still runs fine.
    that is, unless someone really tempts me. lol.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Put a 512 ssd in the 2008. You'll be quite satisfied I think.

7. ali5289 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya thats what i have hear people will or have done. but is it an easy process? what happens to all my information on my current hard drive? easy to transition?
    thanks

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Put a SSD in it. Let other fools waste $3,000 on a non upgradable machine lol

9. ali5289 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya thats what i have hear people will or have done. but is it an easy process? what happens to all my information on my current hard drive? easy to transition?
    thanks

10. simsaladimbamba

Quite easy.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

11. Nate025 macrumors regular

Late '08 unibody here. Popped in a SSD, maxed out the ram, and it runs faster and smoother than the day I bought it. No plans to replace this laptop anytime soon.

HDD replacement is easy as pie. Makes life easier if you have a torx t-6 to swap the bolts onto the new drive. Last week I was testing out 3 different drives on the same computer. Only takes a few minutes to open her up and swap out.

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

You can also use some flathead screwdrivers pretty easily. Just finding the right size is pretty hard sometimes :)

Planning on putting an SSD in mine, maybe a 120gb once I get a few $$$, and just use my 1tb HDD (current) as optibay storage. I use the optibay all of once a month... if that :D

13. Drebin198 macrumors newbie

I'm also debating whether to upgrade or upgrade the hard drive. I have a 500GB HDD right now, but is it really a big difference with a SSD?

I mainly use the computer for web surfing, music, and that's about it now that I think of it.

14. Nate025 macrumors regular

Haha yeah I had every size flathead in the house except that one. Fortunately home depot is just down the street from me so it was a quick run.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think SSD is worth for your aging MBP. That is why I bought an Intel 320 series 160GB SSD to see there is any performance I find small amount of it.

16. Ben8472 macrumors member

^^
    that's why i'm not upgrading either.

i wonder if the new lineup has those new asymetric fan's

i don't want a jet on my desk when exporting a few photos...

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I bought a sandisk 256 for $179. It's not the latest and fastest but it saturates the connection.