Upgrade my Macbook to a "last generation" Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yayaba, Oct 30, 2008.

1. yayaba macrumors 6502

Hi all, I'm wondering if someone could tell me about the performance gains I would expect to get from upgrading my 2ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, GMA950 Macbook to the last gen Pro model, specifically this one: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB133LL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225349910&sr=8-1

The main beef I have with my Macbook is:

1) the screen size which will definitely improve with the Pro and
    2) performance running a lot of applications. I usually have Firefox, Eclipse IDE (Java based code editor which uses up a decent amount of memory), Photoshop CS3, iTunes, and other various smaller programs running all at once.

However when I will boot up Fusion, my system basically starts crawling. I'm guessing I'm being limited by my 2 gigs of RAM here since I have a 7200rpm HD installed already. That's where the 4 gigs of RAM for the Pro would help.

Basically upgrading to a Pro would be an extra $800 or so once I sell my current Macbook so I'm wondering if the performance gains is worth the cost. Will 4 gigs of RAM mean that I can run all of those programs w/o a hitch?

2. futuremac macrumors member

I have the MBP 2.5Ghz model and I use Fusion to run XP and Ubuntu at the same time without problems. Very snappy with Office apps open in all three OS's. I only have 2GB RAM but I'm sticking in 4GB tomorrow for video work.