upgrade my MBP in Oct or wait for Penryn??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aye5882, Jul 8, 2007.

  1. aye5882 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2006
    #1
    Hey guys! i've been on here for a while but haven't really posted that much. I think my situation is a little unique than the standard should i buy now. I currently have the Rev A mbp Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 80gb, 2Gb RAM for almost a year now. I think the upgrade to the current mbp would be a significant boost in performance. however, i am out of the country right now and won't get back til early september. by then, i might as well wait for leopard in oct so i won't have to pay the $150+ for the upgrade in OS.

    so by then, i'll be in the middle of an upgrade cycle. i think i can hold off until penryn... but that LED is really tempting. but then again, i don't want to get another Rev A model when Penryn comes out... so if i do decide to get the current mbp in oct, i think all the kinks of the SR upgrade will be fixed.

    my question is: what is apple's turnaround for upgrading new technology? for example, i know they were the one of the last ones to finally upgrade to core 2 duo... and they were pretty late in upgrading to SR too. about how long did they take to do this??? i'im just trying to get a time scale on how long they would take to upgrade to penryn once the chip comes out.

    btw, when is peryn projected to come out??

    thanks for any input you can give!
     
  2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #2
    I dont know where all this "rumors" of an update of the MBP in OCT are coming from...

    I have not read anything about anything coming after SR before Penryn...granted I do not follow the intel timeline....


    That leaves are very unsubstainal upgrade to occur...one that probably won't happen.

    If my belief that nothing is coming inbetween SR and Penryn is correct, then I predict announcement at Macworld 2008 with shipping in Feburary 2008.

    Perhaps someone that follows intel could shed some light on this.
     
  3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #3
    other pc manufacturers released core 2 duos in september 2006, with apple following suit a month later. apple released the santa rosa macbook pros in june, while other companies were trickling in with their offerings in may. you make it seem like apple waited forever to incorporate new tech when it's been pretty on top of things as far as the macbook pros are concerned. about your upgrade, i'm not fully convinced you'll see that dramatic of an increase in performace to justify a new macbook pro, but i guess that's your call.
     
  4. aye5882 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2006
    #4
    i didn't mean to imply that there would be another hardware upgrade for the mbp in oct. i meant to say that i might as well wait until oct for the leopard upgrade so i won't have to pay for the $150. that's y i titled the thread to waiting to upgrade in oct.
     
  5. dongmin macrumors 68000

    dongmin

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2002
    #5
    It's highly unlikely you'll see Penryn-based MBPs before MWSF 2008, and even that is optimistic.

    Penryn won't be released until late Q3 - early Q4, and who knows when they'll ship in volume. Apple's recent pattern has been to hold off a month or so until they have an adequate supply of the new chps and then, release their products.

    I'd say there is some outside chance you'll see new MBPs in November. But that's only if Intel is able to roll out the new chips in September, early October. If the release is in November, I'd say you're waiting until 2008.
     

Share This Page