Upgrade my MBP with Tiger to Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fumar.mata, Feb 11, 2009.

1. fumar.mata macrumors newbie

Greetings.

I'm very new to this forum, and please let me introduce myself.

I have an "old" 17" Macbook Pro (aluminum), C2D 2.4 with 4Gb RAM. It came with Tiger installed and i never bothered upgrading to Leopard (well, Tiger worked very well with my software). I do mostly Webdesign and Photography, and i work mainly with Dreamweaver, Flash and Photoshop/Lightroom.

The MBP has served me very well but now i want to buy an iMac 24", 2.8 with 2Gb (upgrading later to 4Gb) to have at home while i'll use the MBP on location and work. I know that the iMac comes with Leopard and the install DVD's.

My questions are:

- can i use the iMac install DVD's to upgrade Tiger on my MBP? Will this work, installing all necessary drivers, configurations, etc, or do i have to buy the Leopard DVD to do this?

- if it's possible, what would be the best way to do this? a frsh install or an upgrade? Any online step by step tutorial of the best way to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard? I'm still pretty new to Macs and i've never installed the OS...

- if i upgrade Tiger -> Leopard, instead of a fresh install, will my programs be immediately available in Leopard or do i need to install them again?

Thanks in advance.

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Legally, you'd need to buy a separate copy of Leopard for your MBP and anyway, Apple's machine-specific OS discs are just that - an iMac install disc won't work on a MBP.

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

As far as I know, the iMac one won't work due to drivers (I may be wrong though).
    I would advise a fresh install, because that way you can get rid of some unwanted stuff very easily and there may be some conflicts with an upgrade as well.
    Your programs will be there only if you if you do an upgrade, but like I said before, it's safer to just do a fresh install (just make sure if you have any paid apps on there like Adobe stuff, that you have the key somewhere!)
    Hope this was of some help.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it won't work because the disk checks your computer logic board to make sure it's the right model.

If you're going to just circumvent and not buy a new copy you might as well just torrent a retail DVD~Not that I condone such action.

5. flanamac macrumors 6502

Torrent? What is this? I have seen this word going around, but I have no idea what it means or what it is used for.

On the use of multiple machines with one disk, yeah perhaps it doesn't, but I think that if one user has 5 computers, the license should be for the user, not the machine.

How can you be pirating software if you have it on 2 machines you (and only you use)? One for home and one away. Who is going to packup their iMac and lug it into the local Starb#$%*s?

It is when you copy that software and give it to someone else to use that is piracy.

The legal system isn't perfect, neither is Apple.

If I were the OP, I would find a way to get it on there, free of charge. Just talk to Apple. I am sure they will understand and fit you out.