Upgrade new 2017 rMB to High Sierra straight away?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adam1080, Dec 6, 2017.

  1. adam1080 macrumors regular

    adam1080

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    #1
    My 2017 i7-16GB RAM-512GB MacBook arrives tomorrow.

    After reading some of the performance improvements and HVEC capability in High Sierra, I was planning on upgrading first thing.

    Now I am second guessing myself...

    I am running El Capitan on my iMac and haven’t bothered upgrading.

    Should I upgrade my new MacBook to High Sierra first thing or set it up and get to know it first?
     
  2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Bit of a personal decision.

    I would (and did at the earliest I could), but I also tend to upgrade/update everything straightaway. Others will say way until a few point updates have been released.

    I am not aware of any issue in HS affecting MacBooks particularly.

    The big change is APFS of course. Lots of threads about this elsewhere. Most of the time you will not notice but you may if you do things "under the hood", which I do, but have not come unstuck.

    Partitioning works rather differently.
     
  3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

    ZapNZs

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2017
    #3
    IMO, no. (Especially if you rely on encryption.) I agree it is a personal call.

    My 2017 still has Sierra. I would have upgraded to HS if I had the option of HFS+, but since it is APFS only I am waiting probably another 6 months or so.

    High Sierra and APFS are going to be amazing. I'm just not in a hurry. With that said, I tend to be cautious with OS upgrades and prefer to use them for several months via a VM before upgrading my physical host. Apple has done an amazing job with an in-place filesystem upgrade (which is almost unheard of.) I give them tons of credit.
     
  4. EugW macrumors 68020

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #4
    IMO yes.

    I'm running my 2017 with High Sierra, along with 4 other Macs. However, I don't use disk encryption.
     
  5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #5
    Personally I am waiting for 10.13.3 before going HS on my rMB. 10.x.3 is usually a larger update, and I by then I assume they've fixed any lingering APFS issues. And other bugs in general.
     
  6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    Since encryption has been mentioned, I should have included that both my Macs and all my externals are encrypted. Both Macs are APFS and their external clones are also APFS (encrypted). My TM drives and external data drives are HFS+.
     
  7. adam1080 thread starter macrumors regular

    adam1080

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    #7
    WELP... Came with High Sierra pre-installed... so guess my decision was made for me....
     
  8. EugW macrumors 68020

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #8
    Yes, if you buy now it would come with High Sierra installed, but it is possible to downgrade if you have a copy of Sierra, since it originally came with Sierra at launch.

    But just use High Sierra and see how it goes.
     
  9. Elcompa macrumors member

    Elcompa

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2016
    Location:
    NC, USA
    #9
    Did it on the 2016 M5 MB. No probs. at all. However, we dont use disk encryption.
     

Share This Page