Upgrade new rmbp to Yosemite?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fongyuen, Dec 6, 2014.

  1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #1
    Hey guys, asking your opinion, getting my 2014 rmbp 15" on Tues, if it comes with Mavericks should I upgrade to Yosemite? Which one is the better experience at this point? I have Mavericks on my MBA and it's working fine. Just wondering if I should wait on Yosemite, what's your experience been? Thanks.
     
  2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

    AllergyDoc

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2013
    Location:
    Utah, USA
    #2
    I have a late-2013 13" rMBP I upgraded to Yosemite during the beta stage. I'm now on the 2nd 10.10.2 beta. The only issue I have is a goofy Time Machine thing where the app doesn't update backup info. The backups occur because I enter Time Machine and verify my new or changed files are there, but the app leads me to believe the backup is still occurring.

    I enjoy answering and making calls on my MBP and using Continuation and Handoff on occasion. I haven't had the problems others have had with WiFi, etc. I might feel differently about Yosemite if I had.
     
  3. icsd08063 macrumors member

    icsd08063

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2014
    Location:
    Greece
    #3
    I am still with Mavericks and waiting for Yosemite 10.10.2 to upgrade.

    My mid2014 rMBP was bought on October, exactly one day after Apple gave the final version of Yosemite, so it came with Mavericks.
    A friend of mine with i think an early 2013 rMBP 15" has already done the switch and as he says, it's all fine..

    I would say, be patient a little bit to upgrade to 10.10.2 (it is in beta for some time now, i believe soon it will be available) if your machine comes with Mavericks.
     
  4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #4
    Ok that's sounds like good advice, I will prob wait till 10.10.2 then. Thx.
     
  5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

    ABC5S

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
    #5
    Clean install of Yosemite, no issues at all with 10.10.1

    Every few months, Apple will update the OS X so no matter if you install now or 2 years from now, Apple will find something to fix or to improve.
     
  6. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
  7. crawler1975 macrumors regular

    crawler1975

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #7
    I'd suggest to do a clean install of Yosemite instead of upgrade. I got my 13" rMBP last wk of Oct and it still came with Mavericks - I upgraded it but it was sluggish after - something didn't feel right after the upgrade. I had to do a clean install instead and it was all good after. This was my personal experience. Hope it helps.
     
  8. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #8
    Yeah, I would def do a clean install if I move up to Yosemite. Thanks guys.
     
  9. kettle macrumors 65816

    kettle

    Joined:
    May 12, 2002
    Location:
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    #9
    I have a mid 2012 rmbp with 16GB RAM and 512SSD - I upgraded through 10.10.0. and 10.10.1 but downgraded to 10.9 last week - and I'm not exactly happy with 10.9 either - just that my 10.8 installer that the mac came with was unable to download a few missing parts from Apple - I'm stuck with 10.9 which looks like it'll never be finished or polished - I feel like a consumer today more than any day since 1988 when I first started using and buying Apple hardware :(
     
  10. mneblett macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #10
    No need to. I upgraded my late '13 MBP to Yosemite over Mavericks, zero issues.
     

Share This Page