Upgrade nifty-fifty or Flash?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by romanaz, Jan 13, 2010.

1. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

So, I've got some money leftover from the holidays, and I've been thinking of upping the performance of my system currently. My only lens right now is the 50 f/1.8 from Canon. I'm currently using my 40D, w/ the battery grip. Biggest problem is the crappy focus on the 50 f/1.8 in lower-light situations.

My question is, would I be better served picking up this :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666243-USA/Canon__430EX_II_Speedlite_TTL.html

or this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html

I'm leaning for the 430ex w/ that flash bracket for the grip. I'm also looking @ a camera strap for my setup, and I'm leaning towards the r-strap 4, any opinons on that as well?

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I'd go for the flash, it'll open up more creative possibilities and it's AF assist beam will help your 50 focus in very low light.
    (It also has a mode whereby it acts only as a focus aid if you don't want to use flash - but only works on some Canon bodies)

Consider also getting a cord so you can use the flash off-camera at different positions.

3. romanaz thread starter macrumors regular

romanaz

I'd assume holding it off camera would make event photography slightly more challenging eh?

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

hunting in lower light affects all lenses so I don't think you'd see a great increase in AF speed or image quality. I've owned both lenses, and I definitely liked the smooth bokeh of the f/1.4 better but those were all shots in better lighting where I had some control over the subject -- probably something I could have done with the f/1.8 had I had the time.

Using a flash properly is a really tough task, and one that is often overlooked. If there was one area that I wish I could instantly learn, it would be use of light with a flash. It isn't hard stuff, but it takes time and practice.

As said before, try to get the flash off of your camera if possible (a bracket works wonders). I have an awesome hotshoe cord from when I used to use a 430EX that I was planning to sell soon -- PM me if you're interested; I'd rather have it go to a MR photog than some random person on Craigslist.

5. romanaz thread starter macrumors regular

romanaz

Yeah, its something that thus far as eluded me, so I think it might be a good time to pick one up and learn it before I really need to know it.

I've been looking at different brackets, I see massively expensive ones and cheap ones like the one with that 430ex. Is there any ones that you guys reccommend at all?

6. romanaz thread starter macrumors regular

romanaz

for an update : one of my coworkers is offering his 430EX II for 170, and I will be testing it out and probably going with it, at that price.

I'm also going into the city monday and picking up the RS5 r-strap and maybe a stroboframe bracket, depending.

Does anyone have an thoughts on the brackets, like, which ones might be better with a battery grip?

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

$170 for a 430 EX II, that's a DAMN good deal! I'd take that in a heartbeat.

8. romanaz thread starter macrumors regular

romanaz

thats what I thought, as long as its in decent condition, its mine :D