Upgrade = no more apple care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Perplexe, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Perplexe macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am an other of those still waiting for a MBP upgrade. I was wondering... on my new machine, ill probably want to upgrade the Ram and the hard drive myself... Say to put in 8gb Ram and a nice quick SSD.

Should I still buy apple care?
    Can I get the tecs from apple to do it for me?
    How should I proceed?

Does opening the mbp myself to install those components, break the warranty seal?

Thank you!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

AppleCare on everything else is still good, it just won't cover the custom-installed pieces. Also if you break something else in the installation process AppleCare won't cover the resultant damage.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Some discussions on voiding AppleCare and what you can do to prevent voiding it.

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Ok, I sent my 2007 SR macbook pro into applecare about 2 weeks ago. I had user installed 4 gb of ram and a 500 gb seagate Hard drive. Before i sent it in, i switched back to the 2 gb stock ram, but did not change the harddrive.

After 2 days of repair, apple called me and told me that the logic board and gpu on my mac needed to be replaced and that my drive would not reformat for a new operating system, But, since it wasn't an apple drive, they couldn't just give me a new 500 gb drive, so they put a new 160 gb apple drive in the computer and mailed it back to me with my seagate drive in the box as well.

So basically, apple didn't really care, and they ended up giving me a free 160gb drive. Now, i just have to send my 500 gb drive to seagate for a replacement