Upgrade not honored! AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Sep 12, 2014.

1. joejoejoe, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Before preordering tonight, I checked my eligibility via text message. "Congratulations!" Told me I was eligible for upgrade via AT&T next or signing a 2 year contract.

I'm on a family plan.

After an hour of refreshing AT&T's page and getting errors, I finally get through, only to see that they now want to charge me nearly $1,000 for my 128gb 6.

WTF?

Did this happen to anyone else?

Last time I upgraded was exactly 2 years ago when I was preordering the 5.

Please let me know if anyone else has experience here.

I assume (and hope) that within the next week i can get on the phone with AT&T and get them to apply the upgrade discount I deserve.

EDIT: Update:

Spoke to 4 or 5 different managers. Some were downright mean and nasty. They said there's nothing I could do outside of canceling the order and going to the bottom of the queue. I have far better uses for $500 so I did it.

And now I'm considering taking my family off of AT&T and going to verizon.

Not because I didn't get the result I wanted, but because I've never been treated so poorly and rudely by managers. One was continuously cutting me off and almost started yelling at me, while I remained cool, calm, collected and insanely polite throughout.

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Interestingly, the NEXT is kind of the better deal if you upgrade annually, though I'm not sure how ill do it next year... Probably have to go through the AT&T store to turn in my phone or something :-/

3. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

WELL PAY THE $1000!! I mean you want your brand new iPHONE 6 asap right?!?!?!

4. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

I'd say pay the 1000 also. It's the iphone 6 gotta do what u gotta do

5. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

It sounds like they have you as not yet completing the 2 yr contract. I'd definitely call ATT and complain. I preordered the 5 2 years ago, also and it let me upgrade fine.

6. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

has this happened to anyone else? was on hold for an hour this morning before getting disconnected.

!!!!!

sorry they make me angry.

7. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Spoke to 4 or 5 different managers. Some were downright mean and nasty. They said there's nothing I could do outside of canceling the order and going to the bottom of the queue. I have far better uses for $500 so I did it.

And now I'm considering taking my family off of AT&T and going to verizon.

Not because I didn't get the result I wanted, but because I've never been treated so poorly and rudely by managers. One was continuously cutting me off and almost started yelling at me, while I remained cool, calm, collected and insanely polite throughout.

8. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Come on, where's the rest of the story if you upgraded exactly 2 years ago and 4 or 5 different managers can't do anything about it?

10. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I can't imagine how annoying it is to hear people ask the dumbest questions for a solid week about this iPhone preorder. Thats not to say that att customer service especially when its not in the U.S. pretty much sucks. but anyway I would keep it and wait til you got it in the mail. Then try to sort out the price at an AT&T store. If they don't adjust/refund/switch to Next then i'd return and cancel all lines. Thats bull

11. dagored macrumors 65816

Go to Verizon. My scenario was the opposite 9 years ago and I took my business to AT&T. Have not regretted it, yet.

Verizon emailed me, sent great offers in the mail and finally called. I told them what happened(rude individual, etc). Never called back.

12. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah guys it sucks.

Was all excited to have the new toy on day 1.

SUCH IS LIFE.

There are more important things in my world!

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sorry, but I think you (OP) are in the wrong. Since you did not give us all the details, we are left to guess.

But, I am guessing you went to a plan that cut your monthly service way down. Now, if you want a phone, you have to pay for it.

Read the few thousand posts that explain this.

Go to VZW if you want. Same thing.

Pay attention.

14. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

that's not at all what happened.

happy to provide more details.

kept plan exactly the same. on a family plan and we're happy with the cost, service, etc. checked my eligibility before staying up to order. verified i was eligible for upgrade.

spent 12:01am to 12:45am fighting through at&t's servers.

finally got through. I was just planning on upgrading my phone. not changing anything plan wise.

as soon as I'm about to check out, it gets an error message next to the upgrade column and says "sorry we're having problems" or something along those lines. after a text and the site itself verified I was eligible for upgrade.

next thing I know, after I followed all the rules and waiting up late, there's a $940.00 charge on my credit card.

at&t admitted they were in the wrong over and over today. but followed up saying there was nothing to be done and I have to now wait a month to get the phone.