iPad Upgrade now or wait for touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dgrog, Nov 2, 2013.

1. dgrog macrumors member

Here's my siuation, I've currently got an iPad 2 that I've had for over two years now. I'm looking to get a new one. But here's my dilemma...

The iPad Air doesn't have touch ID. Do I wait another year and get next years iPad which may have touch ID or should I just go with the current one?

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Why is Touch ID suddenly a requirement? Not trying to be an ass, just don't see why so many are holding out for it...

Personally I think the jump from a 2 to the Air is pretty significant. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade myself. I love my Air...

3. leenak macrumors 68020

If you want touch ID, then wait to see if next year they come with it.

I came from a 2 and love the retina but I certainly could've waited a year.

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Definitely wait, you need TouchID.

But next year when you have TouchID, don't upgrade because the following year it'll have a better screen.

But the following year when you have a better screen, don't upgrade because the following year it'll have a better camera.

But next year when you have a better camera, don't upgrade because the following year it'll be twice as fast as last year.

And on, and on, and on....

5. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i'd get the air. If you think about it, the air is essentially what the original retina ipad should've been, lighter/thinner/really fast.

Next year will probably have touch/gold given how well they sell on the iphone, but that's more waiting.

6. bbeagle, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Do you need to upgrade for some reason? Is your iPad 2 too slow? Only if there is a REASON for upgrading, should you do it.

It seems that you want something the iPad Air doesn't have, so I would wait.

I had an iPad 1 until I finally upgraded to the iPad Air. I will not be upgrading again until the iPad 8 or 9. I had to weight the cost vs. benefits.

iPad 1 to iPad 2 -> added cameras and was faster. Not worth it to me.
    iPad 3 -> added Retina, but also slower to charge. Not worth it to me.
    iPad 4 -> Faster, almost worth it to me. But it's weight was similar to iPad 1, not really an upgrade to me. And iOS 6? I can't run it on my iPad 1 - Nothing in it I really need yet.
    iPad 5 (Air) -> Now, everything is an improvement, plus I can't run iOS 7 on my original iPad. Now this is finally a buy for me.

The next iPad I buy will have to have major improvements to get it into 'buy' for me like iPad 1 -> iPad 5

7. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

I wouldn't wait around for a feature that might not even make it to iPad for a long time still.

8. pumazooma macrumors member

pumazooma

I agree.
    The difference is that a phone is a personal item so touch authentication makes sense. An iPad is seen more as a family device so it doesn't make a lot of sense to have multiple accounts or authentications.

9. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Sorry I should look this up - but does touch ID just let you log in with you fingerprint ? Or does It do something more meaningful ?

10. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

As many people mainly use iPads for browsing the web at home (on the sofa, in bed, etc) or playing games. I don't think there is any demand for Touch ID because security isn't that big of a deal on iPads as opposed to iPhones you carry around all day. The main purpose of Touch ID is that you set a COMPLEX passcode that will make the device very secure, and you don't have to enter it because your fingerprint authorizes you every time so it only gets in the way when the device is stolen. A device which is not taken in places often doesn't need a complex passcode that much so it doesn't need Touch ID ;)

Unfortunately many people still use a 4-digit passcode with Touch ID enabled. My password is 15 characters long.

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Next year it might. Technology progresses over time.

I'm going to wait until next year. My iPad 3 is going to be just fine. No upgrade for me this time around.

Touch ID > Better Camera > 802.11 ac hopefully > Dual Flash hopefully > CPU/GPU upgrade naturally > Better screen, probably not > Better User facing speakers, probably not, but hopeful > and of course 2 GB of memory and 32 GB storage entry level this time around....No real reason for an upgrade unless you are the type that gets one every year.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I usually use my iPad at home and I still use the passcode. If a burglar broke in and I didn't have a passcode set, they'd be easily able to steal my identity with the information that is stored on it and synced there. I'd love touch ID on my iPad.