Upgrade now or Wait. I need help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slynger, Jul 9, 2013.

  1. slynger macrumors regular

    slynger

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    #1
    I currently have the white unibody Macbook 6,1. Nothing fancy, but it gets me by.

    I'm wanting to upgrade to a new MBP but can't decide if I should wait for the Haswell bump. The rumor I'm hearing is Apple is leaning towards going all Retina. While they are nice, I have no need for a retina screen and I hate the idea of not being able to do some upgrades myself.

    Should I get a MBP now and not even worry about the coming upgrade or should I wait?
     
  2. Agent-P, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

    Agent-P macrumors 68030

    Agent-P

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Location:
    The Tri-State Area
    #2
    You said you like the idea of being able to do upgrades yourself, so based on that the cMBP will probably be the best choice for you. As for waiting, we still do not know if Apple will discontinue the cMBP at the point of the Haswell update or not. Personally, I think when the Haswell refresh happens it'll signal the end of the cMBP. In any case, upgrading from your current machine to any current MacBook will be a noticeable upgrade.
     
  3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #3
    Why not upgrade now to a cMBP or rMBP and then re-sell and take a small hit when the refreshed Haswell cMBP and/or rMBP come out.
     
  4. slynger thread starter macrumors regular

    slynger

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    #4
    Thank you for the replies. The more I think about it, I'm leaning more towards getting a current MBP and not even worrying about the coming upgrade. If I can do some upgrades myself, I'll be happy, and as of now a Retina screen doesn't do much for me.

    I have to ask, what does the "c" stand for in cMBP? I know the "r" is for Retina in rMBP.
     
  5. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    #5
    Classic
     
  6. skolvikes macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2011
    #6
    retina may not be a need, but i can assure it will make your experience better
     
  7. slynger thread starter macrumors regular

    slynger

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    #7
    Now that makes sense to me.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Can you wait? If so then you're better off waiting. I love my rMBP, I think its the best laptop Apple has produced and I'd say get one. The haswell chipset will bring a better integrated GPU performance, better battery and a slightly faster CPU. If you're content with the current line up and want to go to the cMBP then getting it now may make sense though the rMBP is gorgeous :D
     
  9. slynger thread starter macrumors regular

    slynger

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    #9
    I agree the rMBP is very nice. My main issue is I have to buy a machine with a ton of RAM to begin with as I can't do that upgrade myself (which I think is stupid), however, I have been educated that I can upgrade to a larger SSD without being forced to go through Apple.
     
  10. scbond macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location:
    Nottingham, UK
    #10
    I'm facing the same issue and what I'm currently think is that even if there is an upgrade to the cMBP to Haswell it will be minimal changes...literally just the new CPU. I'm thinking that I'll get a 2012 cMBP again (had one before) as it's still a brilliant machine.

    As for the rMBP, the screen would be nice but wasted on me and would be a waste of the extra money. Not to mention the fact that I don't particularly like the slimmer profile, lack of ports (even if you don't use them that often it's nice to have them there), much smaller hard drive space (I'd rather put my own 480GB SSD in and save money) and a DVD drive which I use and resent Apple for trying to stop me from using!
     
  11. slynger thread starter macrumors regular

    slynger

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    #11
    The DVD drive is a minor issued, but still an issue for me. My wife uses it more than I would, but for right now, it is nice to have access to it. I agree there will be a point where we won't need them, but I think Apple is forcing this issue a bit early.
     
  12. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #12
    You can, but since you can't use a standard SSD and the non-OEM upgrades are produced in much lower quantities they're not any cheaper than what you get from Apple. The 480GB card from OWC is $529. That's for 32GB less storage capacity, but you get to keep your old one and put that in a case to be used as a portable.


    ___
     
  13. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #13
    And OWCs are SandForce based SSDs :(
     

Share This Page