upgrade of the Mac pro in June?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joubex, Mar 23, 2009.

1. joubex macrumors member

joubex

I know that Intel will release their new processors the 31st of May: Core i7 975 (3,33 GHz) and 950 (3,06 GHz).
    So even if i7 and Xeon are not the same, it's the same family and It's a real possibility that the Mac Pro will be upgraded.
    So may be it would be a good thing to wait for June (Snow Leopard and new Intel CPU) before buying a Mac Pro ? ;-)

Joubex

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

More likely they will start offering 3.2GHz processors on both systems. I can't see Apple having a 3.33GHz quad and 3.2GHz Octo.

3. Fomaphone macrumors regular

does this mean we should expect to see the 2.93 knocked down to the current 2.66 price point and the 2.26 dropped?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Nope. Just an expensive 3.2GHz option.

5. joubex thread starter macrumors member

joubex

May be the Mac Pro 2.26 will disappear ??

Joubex

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not really... in the least.

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

Likely the 3.2 GHz aren't shipping in volume yet. We'll probably know more when they're finally officially announced. I'd expect Apple to do a soft BTO upgrade on it when they become available. Odds are though we won't see a price reduction from Intel, so it will probably just be an upgrade option and not change the linup and pricing.

8. Marcus Franke macrumors newbie

You mean the 3.2 model would just be even more expensive?

9. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Somehow, I doubt very much Apple would offer 2 Quads and 4 Octos. If they plan to offer a 3.2 octo, that would prob mean the end of the 2.26 or perhaps they'll silently bump the 2.26 to a 2.4, move the 2.66 to the 2.8 and then replace the 2.93 with the 3.2

10. SnakeOiler Guest

Possible, yes. Probable, no.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of course it would be.

12. mingus51 macrumors member

I know we are all speculating here but this outcome would actually be great. To spend a 2.66 price for a 2.8 maybe just the push needed for those not really considering a 2.9 or higher.

Who knows...

13. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Unless you're the genie living in Steve Jobs sock drawer, you probably aren't 100% in the know on these things, yet you repeatedly state your predictions about such things as facts.

Unless you work for Apple or have some amazing insider connections you probably don't know more than anyone else what Apples plans are.

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Not to defend him, but you don't need to be an Apple employee or a genie in a sock drawer to predict what Apple will do. They have a long track record that speaks for itself.

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

Yeah. Why wouldn't it?

Usually when new processors come out the the prices bump down some. But since the 3.2 chip has been listed with the other processors, I'm guessing this is the same release. I'd guess Apple didn't carry it because of availability. I mean, it can't be because of price, right?. So, I figure when it becomes available in volume, Apple will add it.

Like I said, lets see what Intel says next week. I'd love to get the 3.2 if I can order it in April. Not sure I want to wait much longer than that. I'm kind of waiting for Final Cut Studio 3 and praying they work out a better Compressor/Qadmin solution. I'll order regardless, but it will make me feel better about the price if I feel more confident in clustering.

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think it's fair to say that it's extremely doubtful based on Apple's track record. At the same time, nobody should absolutely say it will never happen unless they are making the decisions at Apple.

17. dagomike macrumors 65816

That assume Intel's pricing changes. I'm not sure I see them dropping prices so soon after a major launch. Especially since the channel seems to be chomping at the bit for these.

I think it would be more likely Apple not add the 3.2 than either eat the cost or raise the cost of the entry Octo. That would be a $1700 price difference between the quad and octo configs.

18. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

IMHO, I could see Apple leaving the lineup largely unchanged, with a silent upgrade of the 2.26 octad for a 2.4. This would appease some of the clamor about the low-Ghz entry level machine, and reduce the impact of reviews like this one, (http://www.macworld.com/article/139507/2009/03/macpro2009.html?lsrc=top_1) that are basically saying the quad core entry level machine is faster than the octo entry level machine for most tasks.

19. kabunaru Guest

Next year.
    Expect the Mac Pro to stay this way for another year.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Only if the Xeon 3500s are updated also, and even then the possibility is low.

I doubt we will see an interim update. The Mac Pro is most likely to stay as it is until Westmere next year. If there is an update then I see a 133/267 MHz speed bump (so the 2.27 GHz is replaced by a 2.4/2.53 GHz rather than the 2.67 GHz).

21. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Agreed, and I suspect Apple chose the 2.26 because it was an 80 watt part and available in the quantities their forecasts indicated would be required.