Upgrade old macpro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by graley, Dec 7, 2014.

1. graley macrumors regular

May 25, 2010
    I have a MacPro that will be five years old early 2015. It is quad core with 6 GB Ram and 1tb drive. It serviceable on Yosemite but slowing. It drives an ancient 22 inch Apple display. Maybe six years old. Also still going well.
    I am thinking of future proofing before the macpro passes away with a Mac mini
    With 16 GB ram. And keeping the old display. Do you think that is a good move ?
  2. Cancaro macrumors member

Oct 21, 2014
    No !!!! you're wrong !!! Toss out that mac pro 2008 !!!!!!!!!

I thought like you and I bought a Mac Pro in 2008 and I was wrong!

obsolete and expensive for a ****ing computer slow and old!

I decided! and I bought a new 12-core MacPro 2013 64 GB of RAM!
    very expensive but definitely very very powerful,
  3. h9826790 macrumors G3

Apr 3, 2014
    Hong Kong
    The 2010 Mac Pro is a very capable machine.

Give it a (pair of) X5677 / W3690 / X5690... CPU(s);
    GTX680 / HD7950 / HD7970 / R9 280X / GTX980... Graphic card(s);
    3(6)x16G 1333MHz ECC RAM;
    A $10 adaptor and the new Mac Pro PCIe 1T SSD 1400MB R/W;

Your Mac Pro can easily perform better than the base line new Mac Pro (only on multi-core performance). If you have a dual processor model, it can perform even better than the 12 core new Mac Pro with proper upgrade.

These upgrades only works on the 2009-2012 Mac Pro. Some of them are also available for the pre 2009 model, but it's performance can never catch up the current model.

Also, it's hard to say if this is considered future proof. It all depends on how you use your Mac. If you are looking for OpenCL or OpenGL performance, the old Mac Pro (4,1 or 5,1) is your best friend. There are plenty of graphic card options to make it perform as good as (or better than) the maxed out new Mac Pro. However, if you are looking for single thread performance, please forget about this old machine, get the new iMac should be a better choice.
  4. graley thread starter macrumors regular

May 25, 2010
    Upgrade macpro

Thanks. It sounds like I have a better machine than I thought I have. Even better with an upgrade, as long as it keeps performing mechanically. And then just wait...Yosemite works on it much better than Mavericks,.