upgrade old mini's os before buying new mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by pixellady, Feb 10, 2015.

1. pixellady macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have a 2009 Mac Mini running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).
    I'm about to purchase the newest Mac Mini (late 2014).

I see I can upgrade my OS on Apple's site:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Should I upgrade my 2009 Mini to Yosemite before transferring my files/apps to my new 2014 Mini?

Any recommendations?

Thanks so much! :)

PS
    Not sure if this is important…I currently use Adobe CS4 and Suitcase Fusion 3. I'm going to purchase a membership to Adobe's Creative Cloud and upgrade to Suitcase Fusion 6. So, all my primary design apps will be up to date on the new Mini.

2. marclondon, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

marclondon macrumors regular

No, unless you want to clone your old disk volume to the new Mini, which will save a lot of time but will also give you a lot of old and unwanted stuff, although that way you will also find out if any apps don't work.

But much better - go with the clean new Yosemite on the new machine, and install apps as needed - you'll be getting new Adobe and Suitcase in any case. Some apps you can't copy across easily anyway - you'll have to reinstall properly.

The data can be copied as needed.

M.

3. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Use the Migration Utility to transfer your data and (optionally) programs from the old system. Absolutely no need to upgrade the old system first.

5. marclondon macrumors regular

It's Migration Assistant, but it has limitations I think - I aborted it when I got my new Mini recently as it seems there is no way to choose which apps you want to transfer.

M.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Transfer them all and then delete/reinstall the ones that don't work. Migration is time consuming -- might as well try to minimize it.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I agree. I always use Migration Assistant and figure out my app issues later.

8. marclondon macrumors regular

That way though you end up with all sorts of crud if an app doesn't have a comprehensive uninstaller. I didn't have any problem installing programmes again as and when I needed them - it's nice to have a clean slate to work with. The only program that was a tad troublesome was setting up Apple Mail with my copied mailboxes. Microsoft Office also has a lot of updates to grind through.

M.