Upgrade on a different line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scorch07, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

My line is not eligible for an upgrade, but my dad's is (we're on the same family plan). Is it possible for me to upgrade on his line but then use it for my line? I know it shouldn't be a problem normally, but the iPhone 4 uses a micro-SIM right? That means they would be switching him to the micro-SIM and not me... Does anyone have any ideas on how this is going to work?

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Yes, lots of people have an idea how it will work. There are at least two threads on the main page about it, along with a good description in the iPhone upgrade guide on this site.

3. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Yes, my wife and I do this every year. Just explain to the associate what you want to do and they will make sure the right line is activated before you leave the store. This year my line is up for upgrade, but it's my wife's turn to have the new iPhone, so she will be getting my upgrade, and next year I will get hers. Easy peasy!

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Beat me to it! :p

6. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

so if i'm using a friend's upgrade, I'll have to go with him into the store and so the associate can activate my phone?

7. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Are you on the same account?

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They will most likely need access to your account, so I'd say yes.

Another option is they activate the phone on his account. You have to go to the store eventually to pick up a micro-sim, then you swap phones and put your sim in the phone.

So either way you go to a store.

9. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Can I do this at the Apple store or just AT&T?

10. R2T macrumors newbie

from what the AT&T representative told me, you can order your iphone anywhere you want, once you received the phone you call the AT&T people and tell them what number you want the iphone to be activated on.

11. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Cool beans, so I can call AT&T from the Apple store and tell them? My Apple sales rep last year had to call them for an upgrade problem not showing up, so I assume this would be similar, AT&T can then do whatever on their end and I'm all set?

12. R2T macrumors newbie

Right, everything has to go through AT&T anyway. The painless way to do is just give apple rep the number thats eligible to upgrade and if you want to use a different number that is different from the eligible line just give AT&T a call.

13. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Can't you just preorder the phone from Apple using the eligible # and then when the phone arrives activate it via iTunes using your noneligible #??

Seems like that would be the easiest option

14. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

I'm curious on this also. The guide featured here on the site says you have to call AT&T, but I'm wondering if that's even necessary.

15. frostraven macrumors member

frostraven

Wow hey great upgrade guide. Pretty much answered all my questions! Thanks!!