Upgrade on AT&T family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JanexBastion, May 18, 2011.

1. JanexBastion macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Long story short, I won a Best Buy gift card in a competition at work, and since I am eligible for an upgrade, I am going to use it for an iPhone 4 in the next week or so.

If I go ahead and upgrade my phone and sign a new 2 year contract, can the other line on my family plan keep its upgrade eligibility for later? My wife wants to wait until later in June or maybe July to see if any other new phones come out. I just don't want to do MY upgrade, sign the contract, and then have them say that she isn't eligible to upgrade later since she didn't do so when the new contract was signed.

Any input would be appreciated!

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

With AT&T each line has their own separate two year contract and eligibility dates, so what you want wouldn't be a problem.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Each line is independent when it comes to upgrades.

4. JanexBastion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! So changing the number of minutes on family plan wouldn't matter? I am not using nearly all of my minutes, and will be using even fewer with mobile to any mobile. Planning to drop down to a smaller amount of minutes on the new contract.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have heard reports of people's upgrade eligibility being changed a few months after adding the unlimited mobile to mobile plan. Some have said this has changed the upgrade date from 12 months to 18 months. My upgrade is still at 12 months though.