Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
My mom has Sprint and doesnt care for upgrades or anything. Im on AT&T and currently using the iPhone 4 I got on launch day

Could she upgrade her account on Sprint to the iPhone 4S, then switch back to her old phone, then I just use my AT&T sim card in the iPhone 4S?

Im assuming every iPhone 4S is the same whether it comes from the Sprint Store, Verizon Store or AT&T store

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
They are "world phones" now, which means that they theoretically can operate on any network. What we don't know yet is whether or not they will be locked to particular carriers. Surely that information will come to light in the next 10 days.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
a lot of us have this question, and I don't think we'll know the answer to it, or how to work around it, until the 4S hits stores and we can try it out.

But anyways, even if you upgrade on sprint, then you are renewing your contract. So even if it were possible to upgrade on sprint and renew your contract, then pop an AT&T sim in, you would be tied to paying your sprint plan for 2 years or pay the ETF. So even assuming it's technologically possible, it's probably cheaper just to pay out of pocket for the 4S on AT&T than do what you're trying to do.

irfan22

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
your mom would need to pay for the data plan she signed up for when getting the iPhone 4S for the life of the contract.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
a lot of us have this question, and I don't think we'll know the answer to it, or how to work around it, until the 4S hits stores and we can try it out.

But anyways, even if you upgrade on sprint, then you are renewing your contract. So even if it were possible to upgrade on sprint and renew your contract, then pop an AT&T sim in, you would be tied to paying your sprint plan for 2 years or pay the ETF. So even assuming it's technologically possible, it's probably cheaper just to pay out of pocket for the 4S on AT&T than do what you're trying to do.

its my MOM's Sprint account, she has no plan on leaving Sprint, her upgrade has been untouched for a while now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.