Upgrade on Sprint, then use on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMrNiceGuy0023, Oct 5, 2011.

1. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

My mom has Sprint and doesnt care for upgrades or anything. Im on AT&T and currently using the iPhone 4 I got on launch day

Could she upgrade her account on Sprint to the iPhone 4S, then switch back to her old phone, then I just use my AT&T sim card in the iPhone 4S?

Im assuming every iPhone 4S is the same whether it comes from the Sprint Store, Verizon Store or AT&T store

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

They are "world phones" now, which means that they theoretically can operate on any network. What we don't know yet is whether or not they will be locked to particular carriers. Surely that information will come to light in the next 10 days.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

a lot of us have this question, and I don't think we'll know the answer to it, or how to work around it, until the 4S hits stores and we can try it out.

But anyways, even if you upgrade on sprint, then you are renewing your contract. So even if it were possible to upgrade on sprint and renew your contract, then pop an AT&T sim in, you would be tied to paying your sprint plan for 2 years or pay the ETF. So even assuming it's technologically possible, it's probably cheaper just to pay out of pocket for the 4S on AT&T than do what you're trying to do.

4. irfan22 macrumors regular

your mom would need to pay for the data plan she signed up for when getting the iPhone 4S for the life of the contract.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 thread starter macrumors 68000

its my MOM's Sprint account, she has no plan on leaving Sprint, her upgrade has been untouched for a while now