Upgrade Online? or Queue? (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zelnaga, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Hi guys. I currently have the 3g, luckily for me, I can upgrade on the 21st of June, when Im nearing the last month of my contract, and basically 3 days before the iPhone 4 comes out, im in a dilemna.

I can upgrade online on 21st, but does that guarenttee me a phone? Seing as pre-orders start on 15th, I can pre-order than upgrade it then? But that doesnt promise me Ill definatly have an iPhone, because if the pre-orders outweight the stock, im screwed. This happened to me with the Wii when it first came out. I pre-ordered it online but because of huge demand, I didnt get the thing till 2 months after. Anyone had this happen to them with thier 3GS?

As regards queuing - I booked my day off on work so I can queue (just in case) but never queued for a phone in the morning before so need to find a right time for me to actually get in front of the queue. I dont mind when I have to start queuing, but Im pretty sure I can get there early hours of the morning and wait, but Id prefer it just get delievered to my house, but I want this phone badly, seeing as my 3G barely last a day before I have to recharge it again.

Which is the best solution?

2. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

To be honest, that's been the case since I got my 3G two years ago.

As for queuing or not, nobody actually knows yet.

3. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Theres were queues when the 3G and 3GS came out respectively. But with this big jump and the offer O2 has done in regards to people buything thier contracts off, im sure the queues will be big, though I hear from people that theyre only stocking 20-40 iPhones? Ill need to get up early.

My 3G battery is knackered, minimum use screws the battery like nothing. Apple are asking £55 to replace it.

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

If you miss out on the preorders, I don't think it will be too long till you get an iPhone.

Apple knows the demand for the iPhone in the UK and as it is not doing a simultaneous worldwide release, you should be ok.

Finally, £500+ for an phone is a lot of money to a lot of people, though you may find the majority ready to buy the iPhone regardless of the price on here, others will think twice.

I think you should wait till Tuesday, compare the various contracts and then ring o2 and let them know you will be upgrading if you decide to stick with them.

5. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

When the 3G launched, my local O2 store had only 11 iPhones in stock (although I didn't know this in advance). I finished work at 7 am, went straight down the town and then queued up outside the store. I was number 10 in line and thus got my phone. If I had left it another 10 mins before joining the queue then I would have missed out.