Upgrade operating system or buy new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmlriley, Feb 7, 2012.

1. bmlriley macrumors newbie

I am running into problems trying to acquire new or upgrade existing software. I am running 10.5.8 and many programs want a more current version. If I upgrade to Snow Leopard will I be dissatisfied with the performance? How about then upgrading to Lion?

I get the beachball of doom occasionally. 2.4 mhz Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB RAM, plenty of disk space available.

This is computer is for personal, not business use.

Or should I save my money and wait until the Ivy Bridge processor is released?

Suggestions are appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac should run SL or Lion just fine.
    Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

What kinds of "many programs" are causing a beach ball?

I have a 2.53 C2D (although with a bit more RAM, that almost never gets used) and the only time I beach ball is booting up, which is to say never.

I have always been on the latest OS and have never noticed any speed differences one way or another - again, except for booting up, which is to say never.

My recommendation is to DEFINITELY go to Snow Leopard at the very least. Lion seems to have had a few more issues for some so far, but on our generation of computers it seems to be less common.

4. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Another vote for you to go to Snow Leopard at least. I have a C2D 2.53 and ran fine on 4GB RAM for ages, bumped up to 8GB (best $50 spend ever) and can't remember the last beachball I've seen, not that I was seeing a lot on 4GB.

I haven't pulled the trigger on Lion yet, still don't see the obvious need for it. May spend the $29 shortly but as of now, undecided.

Definitely cheaper than a new machine.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Friend is running Lion on his 2.2 C2D with 1GB RAM. Some beach balling but other than that, it's pretty good. I'm sure a memory upgrade will help him.