Upgrade Options - Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AMERICUS, Jul 16, 2011.

1. AMERICUS macrumors newbie

Okay, I am in the process of cleaning my desk up and why not spend some money to make things cleaner. So i have an older MBP 17 with 1900x1200 display and a 2.8ghz core 2 duo. I want to get a large external display and close up the laptop. Now there are some options.

1) Do I get a bookarc, or similar apple mount, and purchase one of apple's gorgeous displays (27" or 30")? I know Dell has a competitive option so that's not out of the question either. My concern is the monitor is rated for 2560x1440 and would love to take advantage of this. Is there a way to upgrade the video card to support this? Obviously the actual MBP display can't support it.

2) Purchase a new iMac 27" for a little extra and get a quad-core processor behind the scenes? If I did this approach, a MBP 17 is a little excessive for a laptop...

Are there options available to take better advantage of the external monitor? This is all for personal use and not professional.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What is the current GPU? It should carry at least 512 MB of VRAM already. Displaying just a desktop environment is not very demanding.

3. AMERICUS thread starter macrumors newbie

It is the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT...and does it have the 9400M in there too? I show both on my video card settings and remember something odd about the video card when i purchased it.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

512 MB on the 9600M GT should be more than enough to run Finder on your onboard display and a massive external. Do you plan any heavy 3D work?

5. AMERICUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Occasional games, but nothing more. Really just wondering if upgrading the video card was much of an option. And is the additional $700 for the iMac a better solution.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Gaming at at resolutions greater than 1920 x 1200 is a difficult prospect, outside of Source games and CoD 4, on most Macs.

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

You can't upgrade the graphics card, but I don't think your laptop should have a problem pushing 2560x1440 to a display. If it's worth it to get a iMac is up to you; I'm kind of in the same position where I want a mini to have hooked up to my TV, but for a little more getting a 21" iMac to keep on my desk and have hooked up to the TV also seems like a better option.