Upgrade options from damaged iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rufio808, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Rufio808, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

Rufio808 macrumors newbie

Rufio808

Hello,

I've encountered some water damaged to my iPhone but besides the loss of function of my rear camera and lowered battery life, it's totally functional. I wanted to replace my phone but I am without insurance and my upgrade isn't up until September.

I was wondering if I should get a new phone through AT&T Next. My other thought was just getting a Nexus 5 off contract until say, the iPhone 6 releases later this year?

All thoughts welcome.

Thank you.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe you can also get your current iPhone swapped out at an Apple store for a fee. Something like $229--which I think would be cheaper than the Nexus. However, the Nexus is also a nice phone if you want a change until the 6 comes out.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go with the Nexus 5. They're great phones and Android has made some huge improvements in the last few years.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Like barkomatic said, I'd take it to Apple and pay the OOW replacement cost. That is if you are dead set on getting the new iPhone later this year. If not, I'd get the Nexus. I hear it is a great phone.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's your call. You need to supply your own thoughts. Why are you considering these options? What are your priorities?

6. Rufio808, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

Rufio808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rufio808

My priorities are pretty much to get a functioning phone as the damaged one I have is causing more bad than good. Will the apple store still take my phone even if it has been damaged?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Also saw that the OOW prices for iPhone 5 is $350.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yes, they will take it unless it has "catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications."

The price isn't $350, it's $269.

Personally, I would do that instead of the Nexus 5, then upgrade to the 6 later in the year. :)