Upgrade or buy a new one.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mausoc, Oct 19, 2015.

?

Should I upgrade or go for a new one?

1. Upgrade

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Get a new one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mausoc macrumors newbie

Hi, so I'm a musician and I've been recording my songs on a friend's computer ( A 27-inch Imac ) using Logic Pro X. The problem is that now I'm planning to begin recording by myself and my macbook pro can't run logic pro X because it crashes every 2 min and it overloads with just 2 tracks of usage.
    I have an early 2011 Macbook pro without any customs, but I don't know if it's a good idea to spend my budget on a 2015 21-inch Imac or just upgrade my Macbook Pro so it can do the job.
    What do you guys think? An upgrade and a cleanup would do the work? Or should I invest the money on a new Imac?

2. lowendlinux, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

What size?

Does it hurt you to do a clean install and a reinstall of Logic and test again? If that doesn't work have you looked at your logs to see why it's crashing? If you just want a new toy don't let me stop you but just acknowledge that, that's what you're looking for.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Station wagon or sports car. Those machines aren't comparable use cases, its not like you are asking whether to refit your existing or buy a new MBP...?

Do you need the portability? As above I expect you can fix your existing if you have the will :)

4. mausoc thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, maybe I'm just being too lazy to check if it's just that It's overloaded with useless stuff.
    Cleaning it up and just using it for music might be my best option, I'll wait to see more comments. But thanks for the advice!, Also do you know what's the max ram my macbook pro can take? I've read apple says that it can only take 8gb of ram but in some other places they say you can max it up to 16gb. What's the best I can get to max my macbook pro?

5. mausoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok you guys actually made me think about it, what's the best RAM brands to max up my mac? And what good would upgrading to SSD drives do?

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Is yours an early 2011 15"?

I run Crucial RAM and SSDs (I've had 3 - 120GB, 512GB and 1TB - and zero issues with any of them)

7. mausoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a 13" early 2011

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Same as mine then, more RAM (you probably won't need more than 8GB), and an SSD will speed up the whole machine, booting, App launch from cold and large file movements (images, video), will all be much faster...like a new machine!