Upgrade or buy new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silon, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Silon macrumors member

I have been twisting around this dilemma for quite a while now. Here's the deal, currently i own a mid-2009 macbook pro. I expect a laptop of this age will show some kind of problem in the near future. Things like HDD failure, logic board problems, you name it. I'm looking at 2 options:

• Upgrade current macbook (SSD, fresh battery, maybe RAM)
    • Buy the new 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina

Me being a student, i'm consider price as a big factor. Because i'm going to Hong Kong in january i'm looking into the new basic 15" retina. The thing is 586 euro's (800$) cheaper in Hong Kong compared to my home country. I will not be going to there anytime soon again.

My question is what you guys would do, invest in my current laptop and buy a new battery and SSD, or go for the new laptop and sell my current.

2. Leisyu macrumors member

I owned a 2010 macbook pro 15, with ssd and I just bought the new base15inch retina macboko pro in Hong Kong, I am currently living here. I have to say that its a big jump, its very fast and I wuold recommend you to do the same rather than upgrade, also keep in mind that Apple products are way cheaper in Hong Kong than anywhere else, so it is a wonderful opportunity for you to buy new equipment and save some big money ;) I would say, sell your old macbook and buy the new one. :D

3. howareyoukk macrumors regular

can you login to facebook overthere? or the government blocks it as well?

4. Leisyu macrumors member

Hello! Hong Kong is a special region of China, they have different regulations. You can access Facebook and Youtube without any problem. ;)

5. Silon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply!

As you have been in a similar situation, may i ask how you deal with the smaller storage space. I assume you went from 320 GB (or more) to 256 GB.

I'm asking because i need to use bootcamp as I am an engineering student. According to my calculations only 160 GB remain for OSX when installing windows on a 70 GB partition.

6. Leisyu macrumors member

To be honest, I went from 120 SSD in the 2010 MacBook to 256 SSD 2013 Retina MacBook. I didnt really face any storage issues but I do have a external hardrive 500gb and also I use dropbox. I thikn the best way is to have both, you can always keep a copy of your documents in case anything happens to your computer. Also if you are using bootcamp you might fine some issues, for 120 is quite limited you cant really install much, I am also an engineering student haha, I would say 256 would be great to have bootcamp, otherwise Dropbox and external hard disk a must.