Upgrade or buy new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Martlets93, Jan 30, 2016.

  1. Martlets93 macrumors member

    Martlets93

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    #1
    I have an early 2011 MBP 2 GHz i7 with 8GB RAM and 130 GB free on my 500 GB Hard Drive. I'm running 10.11.2 without any noticeable issues. I've had the Hard Drive replaced after a failure a few years ago and the GPU repair last year. I could probably free up some HD space by moving videos and pictures to my Time Capsule, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

    For the most part I don't have any issues with this computer. I mostly use it for internet and various classes. It boots slow, but I don't reboot it that often. The battery is the original, but it's usually plugged in. I don't travel with it all that often.

    I've been getting the beach ball a little more frequently and it "freezes" from time to time. Due to it's age, I've started to kick around the idea of a new laptop. I probably don't need a MBP based on my usage. I was looking at a MB Air, but the HD doesn't seem that large on those.

    I've also considered bumping up to 1 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM on this machine. I don't know if that's worth it due to it's age. I don't keep up with computers like some of you do, so I thought I'd toss it out here for some advice. Is it worth upgrading this machine for under $500 bucks, or I'm I just wasting time and should fork out the $2000 for a new machine?

    Suggestions and products are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
     
  2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

    MacInTO

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2005
    Location:
    Canada, eh!
    #2
    If you upgrade the HD to a SSD it will boot much faster.

    I upgraded from 4GB to 16GB of RAM on my 2011 and it made a big difference in speed also.

    If you do these two things, for not much money, it will seem faster.
     
  3. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #3
    It's getting long in the tooth (just about 5 years old) and is affected by the dGPU issue. Two whammies, IMO.

    If it were me, I would back it up, wipe it, put a clean install of OS X on it, and then sell it. Then, I'd put the money towards a new one. That's what I plan to do in fall of 2017 when my mid-2012 cMBP turns 5. At least that's the plan. I seem to cave to family pressure quite easily with things like that though, so it'll probably end up being a hand-me-down to a relative.
     
  4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

    glenthompson

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Location:
    Virginia
    #4
    Tough call. If you only needed 512gb of disk space they are currently cheap enough to make the swap in an older machine. When you get to the 1tb or higher, the SSD becomes over ½ the value of the system. I would be reluctant to put that much money into that old of a computer. On the other side the price for MacBooks with 1tb drives are very high. Add in the possibility of the GPU dying again and you can see a lot of sunk money in a 6 year old computer.
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    I'd opt for a new computer, just for the fact that the 2011 models suffer from GPU failures. Why put money into a computer that could potentially fail.
     
  6. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

    Martlets93

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    #6
    That's where I'm at. I could probably move 100 Gigs of Video off and do fine with an SSD. I've never used one, so how do they perform as they fill up? I have 130 Gigs free on my current HD, so it's 3/4 full. If I dumped the video, it would be about half. I could probably also move more things onto my Time Capsule.

    Then I would be into RAM and HD for under $300. I just had the GPU fixed, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm good to go for awhile. As maflynn said, I'm hesitant to drop the cash in a machine that could fail, but I'm equally hesitant to drop the money into a new machine.
     
  7. ajcgn macrumors regular

    ajcgn

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #7
    I have a similar machine to you. I had a 1T SSD put in a little over a year ago, a couple of months before that I had the GPU reballed. At the prices 1TB MBPs are going for now in Canada, I am happy with my decision. I don't think I would be doing anything on a new machine that I'm not doing now and so I plan on hanging on to my MBP until it dies.
    But it's such an individual choice, maybe the retina might be the deciding factor.
     

Share This Page