Upgrade or clean install?

darnovo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I have always done a clean install whenever a new OS comes out as a way to get rid of clutter, reorganize, and make sure everything is running smoothly. However, I'm a little overwhelmed to install everything over again even though it's never bothered me before. I still like the thought of a clean install, but what are you doing and why?

Banglazed

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
It might be a waste of time to do a clean install unless you have plenty of time. It is better to use the combo update similar to using iTunes to update iOS.

Reactions: Black Magic

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I can't remember the last time I did a clean install. BTW, a combo updater is only available when an OS reaches 10.xx.2. For the initial install of a new OS, you use the full installer available at the App Store. Point and Combo Updates are available @ https://support.apple.com/downloads

Lou

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
ProtonVPN
Going to backup and upgrade. Way too much config has been done on my current installation and honestly, I only install what I need to use on daily basis, so I would basically reinstall every single app on Mojave anyway + all the servers, databases etc. If something goes wrong, that's why I keep backup to eventually do a clean install and recover all the data needed manually then.

Tom

ledzep1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2016
upgrade

Never done a clean install, upgrades since Yosemite and iMac still runs silky smooth from when I purchased it. So on that basis a clean install is a complete waste of time from my personal experience thus far.

AnTaR3s

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
I've always done a clean install so far, but this time I guess I'll go for an upgrade. Usually, doing the clean install helped in removing all kind of crap I had on my Mac, but it's not so bad this year actually. ;)

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
I always do a clean install because i like to start fresh and remove some of the crap i don't use anymore. For me 3-4 hours/year is not that of an annoyance.

Reactions: Dc2006ster

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
If you're going to do an "upgrade" (instead of a "clean install"), you should use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a FULLY BOOTABLE COPY of your existing (i.e., "old") installation.

That way -- if something "goes wrong" -- you have an easy pathway to "get back".

If you DON'T do this, you might still get back, but it won't be nearly so easy.

Both CCC and SD are FREE to download and use for 30 days.
Protecting yourself by doing a cloned backup costs you nothing except the time consumed in creating the backup...

Reactions: Smoothie

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I have always done a clean install whenever a new OS comes out as a way to get rid of clutter, reorganize, and make sure everything is running smoothly. However, I'm a little overwhelmed to install everything over again even though it's never bothered me before. I still like the thought of a clean install, but what are you doing and why?

I do a clean install every year, it has become some kind of ritual every year about this time. Most of my data is in external drives, so is easy to do a clean install when the situation requires. It takes around 2 hours to set my 2 MacBooks as I like it.

Waiting here patiently for Mojave...

DaveWil

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
Make sure you have a backup. I upgraded last year and my it had problems and I had to do a clean install. That was the first time ever for me, but it can happen. I do like to clean install if I have time just to get old stuff off my machine, but that house cleaning and not a necessity.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
It might be a waste of time to do a clean install unless you have plenty of time. It is better to use the combo update similar to using iTunes to update iOS.
There won't be a combo update until 10.14.1 is released.....nothing to combine!

Last edited:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I always clean so I have a fresh OS and I am good to go. But in the case of a beta might just do an upgrade since its the same OS.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
These days with Apple software quality being spotty at best, I wait at least a month after any major release, and do a good disk image, then clean install. It does take a day or so to set everything back up, but it's actually a good refresher for me as to what I've changed/modified, etc.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
These days with Apple software quality being spotty at best, I wait at least a month after any major release, and do a good disk image, then clean install. It does take a day or so to set everything back up, but it's actually a good refresher for me as to what I've changed/modified, etc.

I do the same thing. Except I don't have the patience to wait 30 days. I upgrade on launch day as soon as its ready to do so.

Or in this case I partitioned the HDD in 2. Half Mojave and half High Sierra. Just incase I don't like Mojave then I still have High Sierra as Backup.

definitive

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2008
i usually upgrade, and then do a clean install after 1-2 updates if the initial upgrade isn't working well.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I would like to do clean install with usb... is this guide for everyone or just beta versions?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/18/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-mojave-10-14-usb-install-drive-video/

Last year I used this guide and all went well... Now this guide for Mojave looks new to me so I would like to confirm before starting build usb etc. :)

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/27/create-macos-high-sierra-bootable-installer-usb/
That should be everybody not just beta. But that is too complicated. Just double click the installer. And when asked to select the disk just select the USB Flash Stick and then say install. Leave it plugged in and it will install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.