Upgrade or clean

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nxfxcom, Aug 28, 2009.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

2. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

I have always preferred to do a clean install with my operating system. However with Snow Leopard I went ahead and did an upgrade. Partially because they made it more complicated to do a clean install, and partially because I have a lot of projects going on and didn't want to lose the time with reinstalling everything.

I can say that my upgrade went well, I regained about 6GB of space, possible more. Everything seems to working well right now.

3. Yaris macrumors regular

I just clean installed because I didn't have much on there to begin with.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I dont see how a clean install is worse then an upgrade, i would think there would be a problem if at all with upgrading rather. I guess i am lucky that i just got a new MBP yesterday which is unopened so far, so i will just pop the DVD in and preform a clean install.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I did upgrade, because I followed the instructions provided with SL. So far, zero problems

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I just did the update on the mac pro and went smooth. Did a backup just in case though. Worked like a charm.

7. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

What was the total installation time? 20 min? 30 min? 40 min?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mine was close to an hour. Something like ~50 minutes. I was disappointed to that but that is over now and it has to be done only once. Clean install would've been faster I think

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Do an upgrade. You can always do a clean install later.

10. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I think erase and install will in essence reset Time Machine, meaning that the next backup performed by Time Machine will back up absolutely everything, even those user files that were reinstalled via Migration Assistant from the previous Time Machine image.

Anyways, erase & install is the Microsoft way. Their OS is so unstable that they can't possibly upgrade in place without a bunch of nasty side effects. :)

11. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

12. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I did a clean install because I tweaked my system a lot and didn't want that interfering. Of course, when you have a large backup space it's a bit easier. I don't mind reinstalling stuff, it's kinda fun. I did it about every 6 months with XP, so I really don't mind doing it every 2 years with OS X.

13. kevo0822 macrumors regular

I was under the impression (from another thread on MR) that the Snow Leopard "upgrade" setting is the equivalent of "Archive and Install" from Leopard... anyone know if that's true?

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, same think I think. Both keep your files and settings.

15. dimme macrumors 65816

I just did the upgrade and all looks good. In the past I always did a clean install. I thought I would try the upgrage and I saved myself 1 day reinstalling apps.

16. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

i Did a clean install since my leopard was buggy and I haven't cleaned house for 2 years. It took less than 24 minutes for a clean install on a 2.8 iMac.

17. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

I did a clean install since I did an upgrade when i got leopard (bought a mac with a leopard pack in, not yet installed). I only really have my music to back up so it wasn't really an issue.

Seems plenty peppy enough. :cool: