Upgrade or Downgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jasphair, May 22, 2010.

1. jasphair macrumors member

I currently have an ASUS G60VX-RBB05 with a GTX 260M GPU (1GB RAM).

I'm eyeballing a MacBook 13 or MacBook Pro 15 with the 320M GPU.

I'm unable to find a real comparison between the two chipsets.

I need to know, would it be a DOWNGRADE to go from the GTX 260M to the 320M as found in both the MacBook and MacBook Pro?

Please advise.

Thanks!

2. jasphair thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, well the clock speed difference is only 100MHz. The shader speed is about 400MHz difference. Is that what really makes it faster?

I guess I should just wait and see what benchmarks come out for the new MacBook 320M, unless they're identical to that of the Pro's (same CPU too, I think). I don't really mind a small difference in power, if my games continue to play well (BC2, L4D2, BS2, WOLF, etc) on them.

My main gripe with my ASUS, is the battery is a little over an hour. Well, and it weighs like 8lbs, but whatever. I'm wanting to use it more and more away from a power source, but that's just not doable, and it's a nightmare to bring through the airport, and impossible to use on an airplane.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

320M has 48 stream cores while 260M has 112. 320M scores 4754 in 3D Mark 06 while 260M scores an average of 10177, meaning that 260M is 214% better.

You could keep the ASUS or sell it and build a rig for gaming and use MacBook for everything else