Upgrade or fresh install?

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Does it make any difference with performance? I know on Windows, clean install is always preferred because otherwise its problematic. not sure if it's the same with Mac or not...

got a MBP on wednesday, the leopard $10 upgrade disk will be here next week.

benj07

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Archive and Install (be sure to select "preserve users and settings)...

No need for clean install (not real advantage, speed wise)... Upgrade can be problematic...

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Archive and Install (be sure to select "preserve users and settings)...

No need for clean install (not real advantage, speed wise)... Upgrade can be problematic...
Do a standard upgrade first, and if that doesn't turn out well, then do the Archive & Install while saving users and settings.

At least, thats what I'm planning on doing.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
i upgraded on my macbook and everything works just great :D only two programs dont work but there not really important too me :D and less than an hour i was ready and vista sucks :D

killydoon

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2006
Ballinagh, Ireland
upgrade versus archive and install

MacFixit is noting that by far the most problems are occurring with the simple upgrade. Those who did archive and installs or clean installs had the fewest problems.

Attachments

-Alan-

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
Eventually, I'm going to do a clean install once I learn how to move my iTunes' and Mail.app files into a clean setup without using the Migration Assistant.

Having said that, I'd recommend Archive & Install.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I don't recommend upgrading. That only got me a blue screen.

Fresh install. :)

thetonyclifton

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
Belfast - UK
I started another thread on a linked issue, I upgraded but know would like to do a clean install, not sure why just feel that I should.

I can back up my itunes and a few folders thats all I really have on there, all other programs I can just download again.

Can I get ilife off of my macbooks original install discs? how? and how do I go about a clean install? (from where I cam now on a leopard macbook).

I don't recommend upgrading. That only got me a blue screen.

Fresh install. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.