Upgrade or New?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elevon, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Elevon macrumors regular

Hi there,

I have a 15" Macbook Pro from the early 2011.

Mainly use it for editing such as photoshop, illustration, iMovie, etc. and recently I've started to notice it struggling to keep up with my work - lots of delays and lags.
    I've already doubled the RAM, so Im wondering if this problem gets worser will it be worth upgrading with something like an SSD? (I've been thinking this for a while to replace the superdrive) or invest in a new macbook pro?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Many Thanks,

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

A SSD will work wonders. However many 15" Pros from 2011 suffer from early GPU failure, so keep this in mind before further investing into it
    (and search for Radeongate)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

SSD will definitely help.

If you were to upgrade, how long do you think you'll hold on to the 2011 MBP?

The reasons why I ask, is that
    1. That model has an issue with the dGPU and the logic board failing
    2. if you sell it and buy new, you'll not get your money that you spent on the SSD back, i.e., the price of the laptop may not increase with the addition of the SSD to cover the cost of the SSD.

I think in the long run, you'll be better served with a newer MBP but its a lot of money and it all depends on how much longer you're thinking of keeping this model.

4. bennynova macrumors member

SSD will take your startup time from 2 minutes down to 10 seconds

you won't see the beachball anymore either.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The SSD would help, but since your machine would succumb to Radeongate sooner or later, I'd just sell it off and upgrade.