Upgrade or no? Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dreamer2go, May 18, 2010.

1. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

Hi

I currently have June 2007 macbook pro (2.4ghz). I know I can make this machine last longer, but my current Apple Care ends in June.

I had numerous "fixes" for parts such as broken keyboard. I have some dents in my computer (accumulatively over the years coz I carry this laptop around to class for college)
    Worst of all, I had my entire logic board fixed once this time last year due to the 8600M GT.

My sister is going to get the new macbook (her first mac), and I want to upgrade too...

My question is, should I upgrade? Is this corei7 really justify for a worthy upgarde? I really don't want to spend anymore money on fixing this computer (IE broken parts)
    I do heavy photoshop work, and occasionally play some computer games like Call of Duty 4.

Thanks~

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say yes. You can still sell it for okay price and that'll cover a big share of your new MBP. i7 isn't THAT much faster but everything counts, plus 330M is a lot better and it can take more RAM

3. james90755 macrumors member

I have a similar machine and similar thoughts. My reasoning is more along the lines of 10 hour battery (from 3hrs) and 4GB RAM. I am even considering staying at 2.4GHz and saving $300. (The SD slot would be nice as well.)

I am a road warrior and 13" is great for airplane seats and being able to carry a smaller computer bag. The problem is 13" screens are a bit tedious. I often run an external monitor as a result.

My next thought would be to go to a MBP 15" and get i5 which has significantly more processing power, and use the iPad to keep from having to pull out a bigger notebook all the time.

Decisions. Decisions.

4. Dreamer2go thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah the technology of 330M interested me because of the Creative Suite 5 from adobe.
    The battery life is also a huge thing for me.

and I know that the logic board will fry sometime in the future too (due to 8600M), and I probably can't replace the logic board for free anymore with expired Applecare...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sell it and let someone else worry about the 8600M GT ;) i7 will boost CS5, especially heavier apps

6. opera57 macrumors 6502

It depends if you are happy with the current performance of the one you have now? If you are and its currently working it might be worth keeping it for a bit longer? If not then yeah the new ones are definitely a large improvement, and you would be able to have apple care so would be safe in the knowledge that it will be fixed/replaced if anything happens to it!
    [​IMG]