Upgrade or not... Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dones87, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Dones87 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a macbook pro 13" 2009 mid, which now is incredibly slow!

2,26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

So I have read a lot about upgrading ram to 8, which I think is the limit for this particular macbook, but I was wondering if it would make any sense for me?? I mean, what about my processor?? Is that good enough for browsing, having a lot of windows open, using various programs at the same time...? I don't edit music, video.

Thanks...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check Activity Monitor to see if you're maxing out the RAM that you currently have. If not, adding more RAM won't improve performance. It's very likely you will benefit from more RAM.

This should help: How much RAM do I need in my Mac?

Your processor should be sufficient for the needs you described. If you want to really bump performance, replace your HDD with a SSD, if you haven't already.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Processor is more then enough for your needs. If budget allows, i would replace the HD with a SSD, while you have the Mac open for updating the RAM. Do those two things, and it will be like using a new computer. If you can't afford a SSD at this time, a RAM upgrade certainly would improve your experience.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes.

----------

No.

5. austinpike macrumors 6502

Well one thing you can try for free is a clean install. Back your stuff up, make a bootable USB, erase the drive and do a fresh Yosemite install.

Assuming it was fast enough for you at one point, there is no reason it can't be that fast again unless the HD is actually dying.

6. blooperz macrumors 6502

You probably would see SOME benefit from increasing your ram, 2 is kinda on the low end of the spectrum. Plus ram is so cheap now (esp for only 8 gigs of it) that you might as well pop in new sticks.

7. Dones87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay probably gonna try with more ram. But one question though, what does a better processer actually help with?

8. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

If you're doing processor intensive tasks like video editing and encoding, you'll benefit greatly from a more recent processor.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

Get an ssd first, like everyone told you!

10. austinpike macrumors 6502

Actually, do a backup+clean install first.

If you add more RAM and you have issues with corrupted/crudded up OS/apps, then RAM won't help.

An SSD will improve things regardless, and you should do a clean install with that anyway. So by default you will be better off. But a fresh OS could just as well help with your setup as-is.

11. Dones87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So do guys have any advise on which brand to buy?? I was looking at Xstra Basic series MLC-C6303 128gb.. it seems a bit cheaper than some of the others I saw

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

Samsung, sandisk, crucial and toshiba are usually a safe bet.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

14. Dones87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that some brands have issues working with yosimite.. have you heard/experienced anything like that???

Something to do with something called TRIM

15. alex0002 macrumors 6502

It isn't related to any one brand of SSD. This link from cindori should tell you what you need to know:
    http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

There is a large thread on general SSD issues and purchase recommendations here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1177020

Skip to the last 2-3 pages for the up to date stuff.

People here seem to have a the most success with Samsung and Crucial drives. The Crucial MX100 128GB or 256GB are a great deal at the moment at USD $63 for 128GB if you shop around. It might pay to look at the new Samsung 850 EVO if there are some good deals going. The older Samsung 840 EVO had a bug with slow reads of old data, but if you can get one with newer firmware it could be another good choice.

I don't recommend trying some no name/unknown drive that no one has any experience with.