Upgrade or not to upgrade iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GordysGadgets, Aug 30, 2010.

1. GordysGadgets macrumors newbie

I switched from the dark side a couple years ago. Started with MBP then finally decided to move on with life and bought a 24" iMac mid 2008 3.06 duo core w 4 GB RAM. I love it too. Macs are awesome.
    Now apple dangles the carrot in front of me with the i7.
    Here is the dilemma...I always had an upgrade "rule" that I needed to double whatever component I was upgrading.
    I looking at buying new i7 2.93 Quad w/ 8GB RAM and the SSD and TB.
    Question for anybody with one of these new machines is will I get double or better the speed with it?
    I run graphics ( photoshop) / web design and office programs spend for my biz i spemd 8 hours a day on it so the beach ball gets old quick....and while I know the Quad Core is probably overkill I've learned from the past to just get the best or regrets follow.
    Any words of wisdom from the forum? I really appreciate any advice to help me off the ledge.:)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I very highly doubt you would notice a very significant difference going to an i7. Yes, it's shiny and new, but the i7 is like having a semi-truck just for a six-pack type overkill for word processing, etc. If you don't use CPU-heavy applications, you won't notice the difference. One thing to remember with computers is that a faster clocked processor or a processor with more cores does not necessarily equal a faster computer. If you really want a new one, I would recommend going with one of the dual core models, they will be just as fast for your use. And if you really want speed, pick up a 27" with the optional SSD. That will give you a much more noticeable speed boost than a faster processor.

3. bigmacman macrumors member

bigmacman

You won't get double the speed with the i7 on Office and web development apps. If current performance with your duo core is fine, better wait a year or two for Sandy Bridge, Lightpeak / USB 3.0, and cheaper SSD options.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

S A N D Y B R I D G E.......... (and USB 3.0) worth the wait.

5. tears2040 macrumors 6502

Save your money instead of spending it, you never know when those rainy days are ahead of you. For what your doing right now your current computer is overkill , only upgrade when you need it

peace

6. GordysGadgets thread starter macrumors newbie

Good advice.
    Thanks for your replies. It's a business thing, afriaid of tax breaks changing etc. Machine doesn't have to be twice as fast just a good jump. The ssd looked like a major speed bump.

I will probably wait it out and hope I can still deduct one off next years taxes.
    Strange how easily we become Impatient kids with new computers.

I sell apple accessories so always looking at the latest gear :) I'm an apple addict!

Thanks!

Gordy
    Gordys.gadgets@gmail.com

7. GordysGadgets thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and purchased the quad 2.93 GHZ 27" with SSD.
    Love it. Best computer I have ever owned and I've had a few.
    Recommend the SSD to anyone that can get one. Makes a world of difference.

I do have some bad to report though, the first iMac received from Apple hung up on M/A transfer. Before proceeding with anything I called Apple so I would not be wondering if it was something I did. Anyways worst finally came to worse and after a couple calls a reformat was indicated as perhaps a corruption in the M/A trasfer. Kept getting the Kernal panic on shutdown.
    When I went to boot from the install disc nothing but a white screen. The unit was under 24 hours old.
    It was after about an hour of trying to get it to go that I told them, Just send me another one. I do not live close to an Apple store.
    They accomidated and 5 long days later the replacement arrived. Runs perfect and instead of Migration assistant I used the carbon copy cloner.
    All is well happy as a clam. Nothing is perfect.

Regards
    www.gordysgadgets.com