Upgrade or Replace MBP1,1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadowfayre, Aug 5, 2009.

1. shadowfayre macrumors regular

I have the original Rev A MBP and looking to upgrade. I already upgraded the RAM to 2GB (which seems to be the limit per the guide). HDD is the main component I need to upgrade (from 100GB). Is the CPU hardwired or replaceable?

Is it worth upgrading the HDD or should I try and sell the laptop on Craigslist and get a newer one?

I would like to go to 4GB, but if 2GB is the limitation on this then guess that is what I am stuck with. :/

Money is key as I don't have much... so, upgrading to the top of a line is out of the question. Mostly, trying to decide rather or not I am throwing away any green on this poor old guy.

I wanted to go to a Mac Pro, but just no funds for it. iMac is not out of the question but still only an option if I could make enough on this unit on CL.

Thanks,

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

eh.... unless you REALLY need the power, then I would just upgrade.

I think you should just start saving up for a new/refurb machine and just run your MBP until it dies.

I'm starting to see a flood of Macs on CL and there prices are starting to drop because Apple's refurb prices are so good now. So I would plan to get much out of your machine on CL.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Since you don't have that much money just upgrade the hard drive and wait until you have more funds. The CPU is soldered, not socketed, and so cannot be upgraded. Putting in a larger hard drive should offer significant performance gains. The increased density of newer, larger hard drives has resulted in very welcome performance gains.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I also have the original MBP and decided to upgrade the HD to a 500GB drive. It's made the computer much more usable. I'd say upgrade--especially if you're low on cash.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Do you really need a new Macbook Pro? If not, get the 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue for your current Macbook Pro. If you decide to get a new Macbook Pro, get a refurbished one since you are on a tight budget.

6. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. One recommended the Scorpio Blue. I am a bit surprised as that is is 5400RPM drive compared to the 7200 Seagate Momentus that I currently have. Wouldn't I take a performance hit going to a 5400RPM drive? I don't want to break the "search first" rule, so I won't ask for which is the best drive. However, I am curious on the Scorpio Blue recommendation.

Thanks again.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A number of people apparently experienced vibration and noise with the Seagate 7200rpm drive--hence the recommendation of the Scorpio Blue. However, I have the Seagate and have not experienced any noise or vibration nor have many others. I'm very satisfied.

8. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah... coming back now after doing a quick search on drives. I am not too surprised to hear about Seagate. While doing a search (non-macrumors) on HDD a few days ago, alot of negative responses came up on Seagate. Surprising actually as they used to be recommended. Off subject I am going with the F1 RAID drives from Samsung for the NAS.

As far as the blue's... interesting to see a 5400RPM drive perform as good as a 7200RPM drive. If that is the in fact the case, I would be happy to go that route and maybe get some additional battery life out of this old dog :)

Thanks again for your responses. Time to start spending more money at the Egg.