Upgrade or Return?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vtyler98, Jun 4, 2013.

1. vtyler98 macrumors member

I recently purchased a 2013 21.5" iMac from Best Buy, base model, and am pleased with the performance of it. However, going from a MBA with a SSD to iMac has been an adjustment. I've been thinking about returning my iMac for a BTO one from Apple that has the SSD, here are a few simple questions I need some advice/help with!

1. If going the BTO route with Apple, should I get the 256gb SSD or 512? If I decide to get the 256gb SSD, can I later replace it with a higher capacity SSD or would it be better to order the higher capacity to begin with? Money is a strong consideration, would like to get the 256 and later upgrade it myself if that is possible.
    2. Would a better option be to buy a 480gb SSD, hook it up via a mSata USB connector, and use that as my startup disk to run my computer off of? Instead of running my current computer on the HD, I would hook the SSD up and run my computer off of that.

Thanks in advance for the help, I will be graduating college soon and I want to get the best option now for many future years of use.

2. vtyler98 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have some advice or recommendation on what would be better?

3. CalebLevArn macrumors member

Don't return it, just buy a lacie rugged SSD and boot right from the thunderbolt port.

The lacie rugged SSD is available in 120GB and 256GB sizes.

4. vtyler98 thread starter macrumors member

What about getting a SATA to USB adapter and hooking up an external drive to it, would that be a good options? I've had a hard time finding one of those or an external SSD thats 480/512gb anywhere.

5. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'm assuming SATA to USB would be much slower than a external thunderbolt SSD drive.

6. vtyler98 thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks for the help everyone, I'm still debating what to do but have a little time to research some more and think about things.