upgrade or stick with my whitebook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mynameisraj, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

As stated in my signature, I have a 13" whitebook 2.4. I must say I'm happy with the machine overall, but I'm considering the new 13" MBP for a couple of reasons:

1. Latest and greatest. My machine is nearing 1 year old and I think that it's already severely outdated to the point where I'm worried I will be kicking myself in the rear when new software and hardware developments occur.
    2. Graphics. I use my mac for the occasional graphics editing and I also feel like the os will run better with integrated graphics.
    3. Build quality. This computer is made out of terrible materials. I've had 6 repairs for cosmetic issues alone, all legitimate too.
    4. Screen. I watch movies, view pictures, read, and video conference frequently on my mac. I love the screen in the new 13" MBP and it puts this one to shame.
    5. Heat. I've heard that the new ones run significantly cooler because the aluminum acts as a heatsink (true?).
    6. Battery. I go through 2-4 cycles a day sometime in the summer.
    7. Snow Lepoard. I know for a fact the new MBP will run Snow Leopard with much greater ease than my current computer.
    8. Speed. This is only 2.4GHz and runs slower ram along with a slower fsb. I have a feeling it will slow me down in the near future when Snow Leopard comes out and when I'm doing things like more intensive audio editing (I do basic stuff at the moment).

[will add more as I think of them]

I'm a student and don't use my computer incredibly intensively. I do like having a better machine than entry level (I have no idea why but I shelled out the extra for this one!). My main problems are that I'm unemployed and have little source of cash, and that I have to go through my parents to get permission. I'm a little unsure whether or not I should just bite my tongue and stick with this or spring for the UMBP.

[ If I do decide to spring for it, any suggestions on getting a job at 15? I was working for people to save up for my whitebook earlier, but don't now. Help is greatly appreciated :) ]

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How is it outdated? It does everything you want it to do now, and probably in the near future, and a new computer wouldn't help you at all. I doubt you'd even notice if we replaced your current MB with the slower 2 GHz version.

You only make yourself sound spoiled in your post.

3. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

My WhiteBook is nearly 3 years-strong!

That said, I just had the upper-casing replaced because of a crack on the right palmrest. I, for one, am going to be buying a new 13" MBP soon because I love the Unibody design (no more cracks!) and the fact that they put the FireWire port back in. That and the aging Intel GMA 950 isn't supported by Open CL.

Now's a great time to trade up!

4. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have been more careful with my word choice - I feel as if it is outdated because there have been 2 revisions since, and major revisions at that.

In terms of the spoiled thing, I bought it myself :)

5. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I've got a Blackbook that I got December of 2007 as a Christmas gift. This thing still runs beautifully after a year and a half! I'm really impressed with how well it's going. Aside from the tiny crack it has on the lower right edge of the palm rest and the couple of places where the matte finish is coming off (around the ports and battery), this thing's in perfect shape.

Although the new MBPs look really nice, I don't think I'll be upgrading at least for another year or so. I'd like to keep this one until I go to college (I'm already saving up for a MBP).

As for being outdated, I don't think I'm too outdated. I mean ok, not the fastest RAM (DDR2 compared to DDR3) or the fastest processor, or decent graphics, but I still got a really capable machine. If anything, Snow Leopard is meant to take advantage of what you have, not nag you to upgrade.

My 2 cents :rolleyes:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For you, perhaps it's time to trade up.

For the OP, who is absolutely fine with the speed and is only "worried" that one day, in the future, where he envisions that he may actually do something with his computer occasionally that will stress his system (again, occasionally), he wants to get a new system to be prepared.

You'd be better off investing in a tin-foil hat and a bomb shelter......you know, "just in case".

7. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm glad to know that the "just in case" is unlikely to cause my system stress. In that case, I guess I don't have much to worry about… I'm a pretty casual user but I'm planning to take up some more intensive graphic design in the next couple of years…*I guess that that it's better not to agonize over what will happen but act in the moment instead…

In terms of Open CL, is the GMA X3100 supported?

8. spicyj macrumors member

Don't get a new computer unless you're having problems with your current one.

Snow Leopard will run just fine, especially if you do an Archive and Install instead of the default Upgrade.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

1. You'd be kicking yourself when next software development doesn't come out and you wasted 1200$ for nothing.

New hardware is released all the time, in 8 month's time you'll want the next rev. on MBs because they will have quad cores, longer battery, or whatever whatever.

2. Umm, both your Intel GMA3100 and new GeForce 9400 are integrated, just the geforce is much faster and supports more technologies. What do you mean by "occasional graphics editing"? If its working for you now, I don't see a point in getting faster graphics. In most cases it will have no increase.

3. -

4. Have you seen the new ones in person? Unless you did, your statement holds no value.

5. Not significantly, but the fan speeds up less often.

6. My battery on whitebook lasted as long as 4 hours while browsing on wi-fi with screen brightness at almost max. Assuming that new integrated battery is 1.5 or even 2x better, it still would require to recharge if you say you can go up to 4 cycles a day (doing what?)

7. This isn't Windows. SL will run just as fast or faster than Leopard on your system.

8. 2.4 Core 2 Duo is more power than most people even need from a CPU right now. Do you ever max it out for extended periods of time?

No, it won't slow down with SL (the whole point of SL is to optimize and streamline things).

Are you sure your "more intensive audio editing" will be too much for your current system? If when you will be doing this editing you find that your Macbook isn't fast enough, then you can upgrade to a newer system. Until then I don't see a point.

Bottom line: I think the only issue you have here is that you really WANT the new MBP, but definitely don't NEED it. If you buy it, you will be essentially wasting your money. 15 year-olds just don't need to have new computers every year.

Even for me, a 20 year-old university student, its hard to justify upgrading my 2.5 year old MacBook to the new low-end MBP, because my current one does everything I need from it. It does rev fans up often, can't run certain games and backlight its keys, but otherwise its great. I really DO want the new one though :D

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

that or you have some money to burn/invest. if you want a new computer and you can afford it i mean... you might want to think twice, however if you need it that's a whole different ball game.

if yours is working fine - and you don't really NEED any of the new features.. why not wait till the next revision and get a better deal instead of spluring now?

11. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

stuff I do for websites, like basic stuff put together for layouts: banners, backgrounds, textures, patterns…
    no but I have seen the MBA plenty of times. it has a beautiful screen and it's the same one in the new MBP 13".
    no, not really.
    no.

4 cycles is when I'm home the whole day and it is crappy outside. usually it's 1 or two actually, ha.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Nothing from what you've just mentioned benefits from faster graphics chip.

Is it confirmed that its the same as on MBA? If it really is, I'll want the new MBP even more :(

See? You don't need a new one :)

13. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I guess that settles the need part of it.

Nothing can settle the want part of it.

Yes it is confirmed to be the same MBA screen.

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you can afford it without going broke, go for it :)

a w e s o m e