Upgrade OS 10.5.8 to ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by OpsysGal, Feb 22, 2013.

1. OpsysGal macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I am sure this question has been asked before, but looking at the posts out there, the computer specs are not exactly like mine. Just to be on the safe side, I am going to post my spec and hope some one be kind enough to point me to the right direction. My current MacBook4.1 OS is 10.5.8, I want to upgrade the OS to the newer version so that Firefox do not complain about not supporting my current OS. What is the latest OS I should upgrade to and can you tell me if my computer is compatible for new OS upgrade. If not, what should I do to get my OS up to speed for the new upgrade? If yes, what are the steps? Where can I go get my upgrades?

Current OS version: 10.5.8
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.31f1
    Serial Number (system): RM8382T90P2
    Hardware UUID: B1930D00-1EAC-5780-B647-1306262587ED
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

Thank you very much in advance,
    OpsysGal

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

This Mac can go up to OS X Lion (10.7.5), however you must purchase Snow Leopard (on Apple.com) first in order to buy it from the Mac App store.

3. Mac Write macrumors member

Unfortunately Apple no longer sells OS X Lion from the Appstore, so you will be stuck with 10.6.8 unless you can find a copy of OS X Lion from another un-official source.

4. OpsysGal thread starter macrumors newbie

5. dinggus macrumors 65816

You're the man for asking this, I was about to ask the same thing.

If I have a Snow Leopard disc from my iMac, can I use it on my MacBook?

They don't sell OSX Lion at the Apple Store?

6. mannyo1221 macrumors member

No, the disk is tied to the iMac hardware, you'll need the retail DVD or one for your specific model of macbook.

Not anymore, since Mountain Lion became available. Your macbook cannot run Mountain Lion, so you'll need to source a Lion USB stick or DVD.

7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

That's technically true that you can't buy Lion from the AppStore, but you can still buy Lion. You have to call Apple and purchase Lion over the phone. They will give you a redemption code for Lion, and then you can download it from the App Store.

There are (cough) un-offical (cough) ways to use the install Snow Leopard for your iMac on your MacBook.

Apple still sells the Snow Leopard install DVD on their website:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

If you took your MacBook to the genius bar and said you wanted to upgrade, I'm pretty sure they have a way to do it.

8. Mac Write macrumors member

That's really really useful to know. Thank you!!! (though I have Lion and Lion Server purchased).

9. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Hi,

I'll set aside the discussion on how to upgrade (as that has been covered), but I'd like to question whether it *really* makes sense to upgrade.
    The reasons reported by the OP (Firefox complaining) do not seem that heavy that they'd alone necessitate the cost and hassle of an upgrade.

Furthermore, while Snow leopard is a somewhat risk-free upgrade, Lion may actually break a few things... The OP should check whether Lion would create significant problems (no more rosetta) for the softwares used.

RGDS,